• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tethered but can't access gmail or yahoo mail, htc hero and Windows 7

chewedpup

Jul 18, 2010
My tethering seems to work fine using Easy Tether (I am rooted) - but the only websites I cannot access are my emails - yahoo.com and gmail.com.
Everything else works fine - no matter how or where I try them, they will not work. All other websites load no problem. Just yahoo.com and gmail. Any ideas?

Thread moved to the support section. Maybe Yahoo blocks full website access via mobile IP addresses? Try clearing the cache and cookies on your computer's web browser. Maybe that will help.

EDIT: I think I found the issue. The Lite version of EasyTether blocks HTTPS, which GMail definitely uses, and probably Yahoo Mail does too. You would need the full version to remove that block. See this link for more information: http://www.appbrain.com/app/easytether-lite/com.mstream.easytether_beta .

Reactions: chewedpup
Upvote 0
Which is exactly what I told here when I text her yesterday, I guess I had a good guess, lol

EDIT: I think I found the issue. The Lite version of EasyTether blocks HTTPS, which GMail definitely uses, and probably Yahoo Mail does too. You would need the full version to remove that block. See this link for more information: EasyTether Lite | AppBrain Android Market .

Reactions: chewedpup
Upvote 0
Read up on it as you had suggested - and you're absolutely right - without paying the fee, there's no access to gmail or internet banking. Cheap fee to pay if you are often without high speed internet, found the Easy Tether so easy to use and will keep this in mind for future.
Appreciate the help both of you, thanks.

Upvote 0
I perfectly understand if you're happy with Easy Tether and want to support them. However, since you are rooted, Wireless Tether for Root Users (in the market) is free. I've been able to access secured (https) email accounts with it without issue. There is also Barnacle Wifi Tether, also free and requires root, if you want to turn your phone into a wireless hotspot. Just giving you some other options to try.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones