• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering and old unlimited data plan

DAMPinc

Lurker
Nov 27, 2011
Hello all!
I am new to the forums and I am sure this question has been asked but I haven't been able to find the answer specific to my question. My apologies if I missed it elsewhere.

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan. When I switched to my current phone (Infuse) from my captivate I had to jump through hoops, including threatening to cancel my plan, just to keep my unlimited data. Att said because I was going from a 3g phone to a 4g phone I could no longer keep my plan. Thankfully my store associate fought for nearly an hour on the phone for me to keep my unlimited plan.

Because of this I am nervous of loosing it. My question -

With my rooted infuse can can I tether to my galaxy tab without being detected? My phone is constantly streaming music so my data usage is already very high. I would gladly pay for a tethering plan but it seems the only way I can get one is if I sacrifice my unlimited plan. I am not willing to do this!

Thank you all in advance for any help/advise and happy holidays!

AT&T can and will detect you tethering and they will automatically end your unlimited plan and put you on a metered plan.
Once that happens you have lost it forever.
There have been several posts on other boards about people loosing their unlimited plan.
You do not loose your unlimited plan just by switching phones.
I have gone from an iPhone 3GS to a Galaxy S2 and kept my unlimited.
Same thing with 2 other phones on my account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones