• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tethering hotspot: monitor/filter traffic consumption (stop background download)

fedeocchio

Lurker
Mar 13, 2011
I hope it's the right section to post this issue.
If not, please, excuse me and show the right topic (if already present).

I connect my windows XP pc to internet via Android smartphone hotspot.

Doing this, some times there are misterious process downloading megabyte without inform me.

Someone suggested me to turn off "windows update" and so on, but I'm not sure to identify all the processes involved in background downloads.
And also reaching this goal, I should repeat it for each PC I want to connect via hotspot.

In addition, I have tried a firewall (e.g. "comodo firewall") into the pc: I can't manage to split good traffing from bad traffic. And also managing it, I should install and set up it for each PC I want to connect via Android Hotspot.

So, I wonder if I can monitor and filter traffic on Android Phone ("server side").

If I'm not wrong, App like "3g watchdog", "onavo counter",.... can inform me only about the total amount downloaded via tethering.
If I detect any odd download reading their report, I can only close the connection. Problem remains. :(

Maybe using an android firewall (like "droidwall" app), but I don't know if I have to set up single manual rule for eache URL I want to surf.

I wonder if there is any App listing all the splitted hotspot traffic, in order to filter individually any background download.
For instance, showing for each one, an ON/OFF switch to stop it.

thanks in advance

Federico

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones