• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering, Is it free?

HtcEvoLemon

Jun 15, 2010
Hi, I found a program at tether.com, that says you can use your phones unlimited data plan to get internet on your computer.

however, it also says you have to use your carriers APN, and charges may apply.

so i'm confused... is this free or not?
If I use t-mobiles APN will it charge me, or will it just use my unilimited data plan to get internet?

thanks!

If you are rooted head over xda-developers.com, look for the section for our phones, from there select development and look for a thread about wifi thether working on all roms, goto page 2 of that thread post 15 and I posted a link to the app that gives us a working tether, and it just goes through your phone to thed net like a router and there are no extra costs. I would have just posted the link but am sending this with my phone

edit: just parked my truck for the night, here is the link or if you have the bar-code scanner on your phone the bar-code that will download app straight to your sd card where you can open and install using Astro file manager

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre3-test3.apk

chart
wi-fi tether app

Upvote 0
If you are rooted head over xda-developers.com, look for the section for our phones, from there select development and look for a thread about wifi thether working on all roms, goto page 2 of that thread post 15 and I posted a link to the app that gives us a working tether, and it just goes through your phone to thed net like a router and there are no extra costs. I would have just posted the link but am sending this with my phone

edit: just parked my truck for the night, here is the link or if you have the bar-code scanner on your phone the bar-code that will download app straight to your sd card where you can open and install using Astro file manager

wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre3-test3.apk - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users 2.0.5-pre3-test3 *** HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL *** - Project Hosting on Google Code

chart
wi-fi tether app

What if I don't want to root my phone. I found something on Android market called PDAnet... will that work? seems free, but will t-mobile charge me?

Upvote 0
Actually tethering is against the TMO user agreement, so use at your own risk.

I left t-mobile to purchase the evo from sprint. Then customer loyalty from t-mobile tried their best to get me back, and well t-mobile won, I came back.

But your statement about tethering being against TMO user agreement. That may be true, however the customer loyality rep from TMO is the person who introduced me to tethering, I had no clue what that was.

He told me I should get the HTC HD2, or Android phone, download free tethering from market place, and I could have 3g HSPA+ on my laptop. I had never heard of this before, and I asked him, "this is free?" He said "yup...I cancelled my dsl, I just use my HD2 tethered."

The reason I came to this forum and asked if this is free, well because this sounds too good to be true, and also tether.com says your carrier may charge APN charges? I don't even know what APN means.

So ya, just thought I would throw that out there. Customer Loyality directly from TMO told me about tethering, and even suggested I get the mytouch slide or hd2, that way I can get 3g HSPA+ speeds on my tethered laptop for free.

If this is against TMO rules, why are their own employes doing it, and telling customers about it?

Upvote 0
What if I don't want to root my phone. I found something on Android market called PDAnet... will that work? seems free, but will t-mobile charge me?

others both on here and at XDA-Developers have had good luck with PDAnet but I had multiple connections errors so I uninstalled it. no TMO won't charge you.

I had a similar experience concerning tethering both the CSR that was helping me get out of a pair of 1 month old BH2's and into a pair of MTS's told me about tethering and the sales rep at my local retail store was the one who showed me which apps to try in the market.

Upvote 0
i use pdanet and it works vey well. Now I have unlimited web, however I don't think you can use tethering with a way to connect to the internet.

So either you have unlimited data plan, or you can find a way to connect to wifi (which is pointless becuz your computer could connect to wifi without tethering).

Everything else is breaking the rules

Upvote 0
I have used pdanet for a while now, just to surf the net. Just stay away from downloading and you will be fine with tmobile. I also recently purchased easy tether for 10 bucks and works nice. With pdanet, u can use for 2 weeks free and see how you like it, and then you have to pay i think 35 bucks...But just stay away from downloads..

Upvote 0
I have used pdanet for a while now, just to surf the net. Just stay away from downloading and you will be fine with tmobile. I also recently purchased easy tether for 10 bucks and works nice. With pdanet, u can use for 2 weeks free and see how you like it, and then you have to pay i think 35 bucks...But just stay away from downloads..

Well I called t-mobile today to ask them about thethering, and to confirm what the first rep at tmobile had said, that this is free with no charge. The rep today confirmed, that as long as I have unlimited data, I can tether, and tmobile won't charge me fees. He also gave me a web link to instructions on how to get free tethering to wok on my phone.

This is now 2 reps who told me I can tether. I don't know if these reps are mis-informed, but going out of your way to show the customer how to do it, I guess shows that t-mobile doesn't care too much.

Anyways, I'm not planning on tethering as my main source of internet on my laptop, no way will I download endless stuff, lol.

I just want the option, you know, if i'm at a coffee shop, or somewhere with no wifi internet, to tether and use my laptop. I prolly will only use it once a week, if even at that.

Upvote 0
i use pdanet and it works vey well. Now I have unlimited web, however I don't think you can use tethering with a way to connect to the internet.

So either you have unlimited data plan, or you can find a way to connect to wifi (which is pointless becuz your computer could connect to wifi without tethering).

Everything else is breaking the rules

Actually my desktop in the bedroom does not have a wireless card and I use my phone with pdanet through wifi to get on the net when i am in there.

Upvote 0
Well I called t-mobile today to ask them about thethering, and to confirm what the first rep at tmobile had said, that this is free with no charge. The rep today confirmed, that as long as I have unlimited data, I can tether, and tmobile won't charge me fees. He also gave me a web link to instructions on how to get free tethering to wok on my phone.

This is now 2 reps who told me I can tether. I don't know if these reps are mis-informed, but going out of your way to show the customer how to do it, I guess shows that t-mobile doesn't care too much.

Anyways, I'm not planning on tethering as my main source of internet on my laptop, no way will I download endless stuff, lol.

I just want the option, you know, if i'm at a coffee shop, or somewhere with no wifi internet, to tether and use my laptop. I prolly will only use it once a week, if even at that.

I'm pretty much the same way I only use the tether when I park the rig somewhere I don't have wifi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones