• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering Natively

deerpark

Lurker
Oct 28, 2010
I'm looking to buy a Samsung Fascinate but wanted to see if it is at all possible to tether natively (i.e. without rooting). I found this under the Incredible forum and was hoping this would work for the Fascinate too:

"Steps:
1) Dial ##778, SEND
2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK.
3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile'. Change 'DUN NAI' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.

Modem drivers can be found on VZAccess Manager for Windows XP/Vista/7 -- the VZAccess executable will install the drivers when it first runs before launching its installshield runtime. No need to continue and install the actual software. *nix people can use their built in PPP dialers once they set up the right USB connection parameters to detect the phone as a modem.

Edit: This should help for Ubuntu users and possibly other Linux users: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA) - Ubuntu Forums

Not sure about MAC OS users, perhaps someone else can comment.

This uses the 'Mobile broadband connect' option of USB connection. Simply make a DUN connection using the HTC USB Modem and dial #777. No need for username/password... can leave those blank."

does anybody know if this will work with the Fascinate?? It definitely works on the Incredible and the Eris, but I wasn't sure if it would with the Fascinate since its not HTC... any help would be greatly appreciated!

(fyi - by "tethering natively" I mean using the Hot Spot feature without paying the $30 Verizon wireless fee!)

I'm confused then... I am not rooted, but I see an icon for "3G Mobile Hotspot". When I open it there is a checkbox to turn it on, and also some settings like (SSID name, password, etc). If this is that infamous $30/mo BS, they don't ever mention it - I was able to turn it on and off and there was no indication that this was a pay service. I didn't have my laptop handy to try it out, so maybe I am just assuming it would work. Has anyone used this? Should I expect an extra charge on my bill next month? If so I will be fighting that like crazy for not notifying me that it was a paid feature...

Upvote 0
I'm confused then... I am not rooted, but I see an icon for "3G Mobile Hotspot". When I open it there is a checkbox to turn it on, and also some settings like (SSID name, password, etc). If this is that infamous $30/mo BS, they don't ever mention it - I was able to turn it on and off and there was no indication that this was a pay service. I didn't have my laptop handy to try it out, so maybe I am just assuming it would work. Has anyone used this? Should I expect an extra charge on my bill next month? If so I will be fighting that like crazy for not notifying me that it was a paid feature...

you can turn the hotspot on/off but when you connect to a laptop/wireless device it will direct you to the verizon site to register for it. i dont know that the native verizon 3g hotspot has been cracked yet for the verizon (correct me anyone if im wrong) but it has been cracked on the droid x and incredible to my knowledge and im sure other devices.

if you root barnacle and wireless tether are free in market and if you dont root you can buy pdanet for usb tether but its 9.99 i think.

Upvote 0
"just picked up a fascinate to tinker with while waiting for new phones too arrive
smile.gif
. With an easy task in qpst you can tether via verizon mobile hotspot for free. Obtain QPST (don't ask me where to get it)

Install GalaxyS Drivers (they are floating around the forum)
Put phone in modem mode (setting, wireless, enable dial up)
Fire up QPST (youll see windows adding the driver etc blah blah)
Add port (should be USB in there)
Once you see your phone in qpst goto the start clients menu and start service programming.
hit read from phone (password is 000000)
tab over to M.IP, under profile 1 click edit.
Changed tethered NAI to YOURNUMBER@vzw3g.com
Click write to phone,
phone will reboot, use mobile hotspot
"

thats what that link says... what is QPST? i'm new to this whole thing.. anybody know if this works???

Upvote 0
I'm looking to buy a Samsung Fascinate but wanted to see if it is at all possible to tether natively (i.e. without rooting). I found this under the Incredible forum and was hoping this would work for the Fascinate too:

"Steps:
1) Dial ##778, SEND
2) EPST dialog comes up. Select 'Edit Mode'. Enter SPC (000000), hit OK.
3) Scroll to down to 'Security', select it. Change 'S.IP DUN User name' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
4) Hit back arrow to go back and go/select 'M.IP Default Profile'. Change 'DUN NAI' to yourvzwnumber@vzw3g.com (from yourvzwnumber@dun.vzw3g.com)
5) Hit menu button, and 'Commit Modifications', phone will save changes and reboot.

Modem drivers can be found on VZAccess Manager for Windows XP/Vista/7 -- the VZAccess executable will install the drivers when it first runs before launching its installshield runtime. No need to continue and install the actual software. *nix people can use their built in PPP dialers once they set up the right USB connection parameters to detect the phone as a modem.

Edit: This should help for Ubuntu users and possibly other Linux users: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA) - Ubuntu Forums

Not sure about MAC OS users, perhaps someone else can comment.

This uses the 'Mobile broadband connect' option of USB connection. Simply make a DUN connection using the HTC USB Modem and dial #777. No need for username/password... can leave those blank."

does anybody know if this will work with the Fascinate?? It definitely works on the Incredible and the Eris, but I wasn't sure if it would with the Fascinate since its not HTC... any help would be greatly appreciated!

(fyi - by "tethering natively" I mean using the Hot Spot feature without paying the $30 Verizon wireless fee!)
Might just be my stupidity here, but when I enter ##778 and send, I get "Thank you for calling United Way 211." What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Upvote 0
"just picked up a fascinate to tinker with while waiting for new phones too arrive
smile.gif
. With an easy task in qpst you can tether via verizon mobile hotspot for free. Obtain QPST (don't ask me where to get it)

Install GalaxyS Drivers (they are floating around the forum)
Put phone in modem mode (setting, wireless, enable dial up)
Fire up QPST (youll see windows adding the driver etc blah blah)
Add port (should be USB in there)
Once you see your phone in qpst goto the start clients menu and start service programming.
hit read from phone (password is 000000)
tab over to M.IP, under profile 1 click edit.
Changed tethered NAI to YOURNUMBER@vzw3g.com
Click write to phone,
phone will reboot, use mobile hotspot
"

thats what that link says... what is QPST? i'm new to this whole thing.. anybody know if this works???

You would be lucky if you had the DialUp option under Wireless. Mine isn't even there (even though I can see the application through Titanium Back up). Any way to make this visible?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones