1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Tethering Options

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CalBearsFan95, Jun 7, 2011.

1. CalBearsFan95

None
    Without rooting, what tethering options (save for paying Verizon for their additional service) do I have?

Simply, I'm on vacation next month and want to be able to get connectivity for my notebook through my phone.

I searched for "tethering", but didn't come up with any results specific to this phone, 4G, etc. Many thanks.

Advertisement

2. JimmyRayBob

JimmyRayBob Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    i say just pay the $20 for a month to verizon and then cancel it ... simple, easy, it works and no problems ...

3. CalBearsFan95

None
    It's an option, but as I'm already paying for a data plan, at the heart of it I feel it's unfair to charge an additional amount. I guess I morally object :)

Still, it's a viable backup plan and certainly cheaper than what a couple of days at a hotel costs for an internet connection.

4. slbelt

slbelt Lurker
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    A couple things to note. First, hopefully the OTA update scheduled for tomorrow fixes the WIFI Hotspot so you can connect that way to your notebook. If not, be forewarned that wired tethering on the Charge with VZN doesn't work and they don't plan to fix it. I spoke with Tech support on Monday looking for a workaround to the Hotspot issue but was told that they don't have the driver for USB tethering and don't plan to have one.

5. CalBearsFan95

None
    What about EasyTether? Saw it on the Amazon App store, does that work with the Droid Charge?

6. boatman

boatman Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    What about pdanet. I was using it on my treo then original droid. Works great on the og.

7. slbelt

slbelt Lurker
    None

Dec 11, 2009
    Not sure, Haven't tried it. I was basically just attempting to use the built in ability that the android phones usually have. I am running win7 and my original droid didn't require any apps. Just plug the usb cable in, turn on tethering, and go. Tried that on the charge and the first attempt resulted in the driver not installing message that I referred to above and was told by tech support they don't plan to address.

It's possible the app might work if it doesn't require the usb driver that appears to be missing.

8. jphila1v6r

jphila1v6r Lurker
    None

May 27, 2011
    Set your date on your phone for 5/30/11. the vzw wifi hotspot will work then. Samsung gave that tip. Temp fiz until vzw gets to the bottom of it. Now whether or not free hotspot will still be avalaible for your vacation by that time is anothr story.

9. dblume1

dblume1 Lurker
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    PDANEt works. You need to go to Samsung and down load the drivers to your labtop and then go online for PDANET as it is delisted from market place. I have been using it for a couple weeks error free. I just wish I could get Netflix back.

10. rdalev

rdalev Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    AMT
    Fayette, Ga.
    I totally agree with CalBears. I'm paying for "MOBILE" internet service, what difference does it matter what device I'm viewing the internet on. I know I pay one fee, for service at my house and can connect 89 pc's to it if inclined to !:eek: