• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering or wi-fi hot spot to a Mac

So, I just read on cnet that I cannot tether my Macbook pro or any Mac Os x products is this true. Thats weird since I can do it on my Nexus One. Can anyone tell me if this is true I was thinking of upgrading to the Nexus S, but that is one feature I do not want to give up. I tether my macbook at school using my Nexus one and its really useful.

Heres the link to the story
Tethering and a hot spot on the Nexus S | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

Yeah that's complete BS. I've tethered my NS using WiFi hotspot to my Macbook Pro several times, and it works great. Now USB is another story, but I don't see the point when the hotspot feature is there. You CAN tether using USB, but it seems that the guide I read about it was quite complicated and involved using a command line and way too many steps. Some people will argue that you can charge while doing USB tethering, but last time I checked, you can plug the phone in while doing WiFi hotspot as well.

I rarely trust anything Cnet says

Reactions: bboyswoosh87
Upvote 0
I know this is late to the party but I just ran into this issue right now and found this thread while I was searching on now to tether lol. I can confirm that just plugging in the usb alone will not tether. I did not dig any deeper into the usb tether because hotspot works great. I am using wifi hotspot now to type this. I just turned on the hotspot feature and my mac found it right away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones