• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tethering problems (slow)

zzang

Lurker
Dec 4, 2010
Hello,

I have a Nexus One phone with T-Mobile provider and I have been using the Wi-Fi tethering option for some time now. Before when I had a myTouch 3g by HTC I used PDAnet to tether, and I never really had any problems with it. The speed wasn't insanely fast, but it was decent. After getting the Nexus One, the Wi-Fi tethering option worked great (and I got instantly fast connection speed!) for a while but now all of a sudden my internet connection has slowed dramatically. I can't even download on my laptop anymore with such a slow speed...(well I can, but it's insanely slow)
Is this because of the provider, or is it because there's something wrong with the area I'm in and the signal won't reach? I thought this was only going to last for a short while, but it's been a week or so since it dramatically slowed down. Any advice?
On a side issue, my phone has also caused some lag issues in the past month or so. The screen will freeze up all of a sudden and I'll have to press the power button to restart my phone. Sometimes it won't even restart then and I'll have to wait or take the battery/SD card out...is this just a normal problem? I haven't installed any problematic apps or anything that I know of...

Assuming there isn't a problem with your phone, there are several things that could be slowing down your internet speeds.

1. You're carrier's service is bad in your location so you're either receiving reduced 3G speeds or you're only getting an EDGE signal.
2. You have exceeded T-Mo's 5GB fair use data amount and they have throttled your data speeds.
3. You set your phone to 2G only to conserve battery power and you forgot to switch back.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I don't think there's anything wrong with my phone. It's brand new and has been working perfectly fine since I got it.
I don't think it's my carrier's service, either. I've always lived in the same place and have always gotten great signal. But you might be right on the exceeding fair use data amount thing... I got a text about a couple of days ago saying how the data speed will be slowed for the remainder of the cycle. But...does that just mean I've been overusing it and I have to wait until next month or something?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones