• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help tethering question

In the us, if you have a plan that limits how many GB you can use they have to include tethering free. You've paid for the data, use it how you'd like.

Sprint is unlimited, so they are able to charge for tethering abilities.

To answer your question, I'm not aware of any free tethering options that work on stock roms of android 4.1+ jellybean. Give it time, the developers will find a way

Upvote 0
In the us, if you have a plan that limits how many GB you can use they have to include tethering free. You've paid for the data, use it how you'd like.

Sprint is unlimited, so they are able to charge for tethering abilities.

To answer your question, I'm not aware of any free tethering options that work on stock roms of android 4.1+ jellybean. Give it time, the developers will find a way

I have a 2 gb limit and T-Mobile USA charges extra for tethering.

Upvote 0
I found PdaNet app that with a USB lets me connect SIII to UltraBook. But after my 14day free trial cost is $15.99. Still deciding if I will now pay. There is an app FoxFi that works with PdaNet to do wirelessly but at this time can't work with JellyBean so not an option.

The USB worked great for me and I am on Sprint. App will not show up in the App Store on a sprint phone so search the web for the download.

Let me correct, the free version still works but will not allow secure Web sites after 14 day trial.
Here is the download link.

Upvote 0
What is hard to understand is paying $30 or so a month for unlimited data and not being allowed to use it as i please. If I want to tether now and then or just surf all of the time on my phone and the data usage is the same.....then so what. VZW is getting paid in either case.

i agree in concept.

but since it is their network.. and they did tell you the limitations of the contract.. and what they want to charge for.. and you signed the contract.
then you have to accept the situation.

it sucks that when you go to eat at a buffet... all i can eat.. why cant i take a togo box home? it is for me to eat later! I paid for the food.. and i could sit there till i am hungry again later.

Upvote 0
Hot Spot Toggle. Search for that. Better then pdanet. I switched from pdanet (which uses foxfi) but since foxfi is charging money now and seems to not work as well since that, I found Hot Spot Toggle. Accesses the phones built in hotspot functionality as if I was paying thru Verizon. The dev. seemed to have found a way to by-pass the security check to see if on your account you are paying for hotspot. I am still on unlimited data so I would still have to pay 30 dollars a month for it. Not happening, no way no how. Works great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones