• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering stopped working??

SatelliteGuy

Mar 11, 2011
I recently switched from ATT to the other GSM carrier... I am on a no-contract plan since someone gave me a branded Galaxy Mini. The guy at the store told me tethering was included. It worked fine. Upgraded to a Exhibit 2 4G. Tether didnt work. Got told by CSR it wasn't included. I rooted, and everything was gravy. About a month ago I was once again routed to the "Please pay us to tether" website, both on the rooted Exhibit and the stock Mini. I didn't have time to jack with it, so I payed the ransom. Now I want to move to a contract plan with unlimited data, on a One.

Is rooted tethering still possible?? If so, what changed? I know Verizon's radio firmware snitches by changing packets and requires a radio firmware hack. I cant find any reference to a change on the web? Am I the only one?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones