1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tethering to my PC?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GalaxyS2Kent, Sep 2, 2011.

1. GalaxyS2Kent

GalaxyS2Kent Well-Known Member

I connected my Galaxy S2 to my PC via a USB cable. I thought that this was called 'tethering' and meant that I could use my PC's broadband connection without using my phone's monthly data usage. But I just looked at my statement online and it shows that I was using the Internet....I think. I'm really having trouble figuring out what the statement is saying: Called Number = GPRS, Mobile Web, or WAP Browsing. Another column says Call Type and is mostly SMS (which I do understand) and GPRS (which I don't understand). The values in the Duration/Volume column range from 1 to 100 or more. That can't be minutes and I haven't downloaded anything yet, so what is it?

I realize that this is probably dependent upon my particular phone network, but if someone could help me understand..... what do those terms (in boldface) mean? And could it be because my phone apps are just updating (such as a weather forecast) without me realizing it? I have WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS turned OFF.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. DragonJTS

DragonJTS Member

Unfortunately, tethering is the other way around. You use your phone to give internet to your computer. And it's not as a simple as plugging into your computer, you need to turn it on through the phone, though some carriers usually disable the ability.

If you want to use your own internet instead of mobile data, you need to use wifi. If you don't have a wifi router, you can by a usb device that acts as a wifi hub when plugged into a computer with an internet connection.

3. GalaxyS2Kent

GalaxyS2Kent Well-Known Member

Thanks for that answer....I think. I was trying what someone told me, but they were evidently wrong.

I do have a wireless broadband connection at home on my PC. I've successfully connected both my laptop and my Kindle to it, but for some reason my phone will NOT connect. It finds the right network, then it says "Connecting... connected.... disconnected" over and over. I've checked every setting and have read several instructions online, but nothing seems to work. I'm sure it's some little stupid thing that I'm doing wrong, but without someone sitting at my PC and phone, stepping me through it, I'm never going to get it!

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews