1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tethering with PdaNet and T-Mobile? (UK)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Karel Bata, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Karel Bata

Karel Bata Newbie

Hi!

I have a HTC Desire with Android 2.2. MY deal with T-Mobile gives unlimited internet access. A year ago I installed PDANet so I could connect my Macbook Pro. I've hardly ever used it, but it's good to know I can if my land line should go down.

However I've just seen a TV program that says that some telecoms have recently (and quietly) introduced a new tariff that kicks in if they detect tethering -

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Extreme Android User

No workarounds. You data plan is phone-only which means you signed a contract saying you will only use the internet access using your phone, tethering not included.

Check with t-mobile and see what plans they have as if you want to use tethering and shut the landline down, you need to be sure what you are doing beforehand.

3. Karel Bata

Karel Bata Newbie

"You data plan is phone-only which means you signed a contract saying you will only use the internet access using your phone, tethering not included."

Szadzik, do you have a T-Mobile contract yourself? Just wondering how you know what's in their T&Cs. Or are you making an educated guess? The TV program I saw said that not all the mobile operators are the same, so I was wondering...

And are there really no workarounds? How does a mobile operator actually know how you're using your bandwidth, unless they actively monitor it?

No plans here to do anything non-legit, just wondering if the exception applies to me, and technically how it works. ;)