1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Tethering with Sprint?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Weeth, May 30, 2011.

1. Weeth

Weeth Newbie

Android users,

I'm finally fed up with the lousy cell service in my area, so I'm making the switch to Sprint. Before I do, I have a few questions regarding their phones and ability to tether.

I'm focusing on the Samsung Nexus S as it looks like a competent phone. Is it a good phone?

Is it possible to tether with PDAnet on its platform? I believe it's honeycomb.

I've read that other carriers are sending notices to people using tethering, so I was wondering if sprint does this?

I'd appreciate feedback from tetherers on sprint's network.

I don't use very much data, but it's important that I have this capability every now and then.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert

Hi there, welcome to the Android forums.

From everything I've seen, the Nexus S is a very nice phone. The main benefit of the Nexus S is, its a "pure google experience" phone, and doesn't have a UI (user interface) skinned on top of it (Its called vanilla android).... and because of that, google is able to roll out updates to the newer Android versions much sooner than other phones.

The Nexus S is running android 2.3 gingerbread, not honycomb, and yes it is able to be teathered.

The carriers offer whats called "hotspot" capability. Which means that you can pay a monthly service fee with your plan (Sprints wifi hotspot is $30/month ... it also includes Sprints 4G signal if you live in a 4G area). This would allow you to use your Android phone as mobile router and connect up to 5 or 6 wifi enabled devices (laptops, tablets, other phones) to your phones internet.

I'm a long time Sprint customer, and overall I've been very satisfied with my service :)

3. Weeth

Weeth Newbie

That's good to know! Thanks. I've played with it and it seems very smooth.

Do you know if it works with PDAnet which is another hotspot app from the market?

4. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert

Honestly I don't know anything about PDAnet, I've never used it. Hopefully someone else that has used it will see this thread and be able to help regarding that.

5. Weeth

Weeth Newbie

Gotcha, thanks! Good info about the nexus. :)

6. B2L

B2L Android Expert

It does work with pdanet I have used it with my Nexus S. But there is really no need since tethering is built in to the OS.

7. meggypie

meggypie Lurker

With the Nexus S you have Wifi Hotspot and teathering already active, no monthly payment to Sprint! Saves me $30 a month, I have had my laptop and my Ipod Touch connected wirelessly via my Sprint Nexus S.

It's a good phone, that bonus makes it a plus for me, what's not so good is the signal. I can put my phone next to an EVO (Sprint also) and I will have none to one bar and the EVO will have 4 bars of signal strength. I have faith that Samsung will fix this, based on my research there are many complaints, and it's not Sprint's issue although with their influence it may be fixed sooner!

BTW, last time I checked you can get the phone at Amazon for $99, so do some shopping and save yourself some cash!:D

8. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert

Apologies, I didn't realize it was built into the OS.

9. Weeth

Weeth Newbie

Dude, kickass! I didn't know that it's already included. That's sweet.

Thanks for your response!

10. QuasarZ

QuasarZ Newbie

Most new phones have the hotspot feature, but with the carriers bloatware installed preventing the use of tethering without paying the fee. Because the Nexus is a pure google phone there is no bloatware, so the tethering is unrestricted.

11. GeekyMom

GeekyMom Lurker

Same here. I just picked up the Nexus S last friday after spending a great amount of time looking at phones in the store and fell for its display and comfortable onscreen keyboard not to mention great camera (since like taking quick, opportunity pictures). Now I've got to backtrack and learn how to use the built in tethering.

I used PDAnet this weekend and it worked fine, but not needing it is even better. :)

Nexus S Forum

The Nexus S release date was December 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

December 2010
Release Date
Reviews