1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tethering!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mi_canuck, Jan 15, 2010.

1. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Android Expert

Jan 7, 2010
    Finally got tethering to work! Using PDAnet to enable tethering on my mac (OS X 10.6)...

Couldn't figure out why it wasn't recognising my phone as hooked up to the mac, until I went back and checked and the key is going into the Settings > Applications > Development .... and enabling "USB Debugging"... bingo! Worked like a charm after that...

Also able to prove that my network here in Detroit is definitely limited to ~900 kbps down and 350-400 kbps up.... Using the Speedtest.net website, can't get any higher, using a bunch of different servers. Same speeds as when I use the speedtest.net android app right from the phone when un-tethered.

At least I can now tether my macbook.... Bluetooth worked too... But there seems to be some weirdness where it seems I need to re-pair (as in from scratch, with the code, despite both devices remembering each other)... in order to be able to reconnect via bluetooth after disconnecting from a previous session...

In any case, USB connection is faster anyways... but needs the cable obviously...

cheers

Advertisement

2. jbrinkley

jbrinkley Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    louisiana
    cool that someone posted that it worked. I haven't messed with pda yet. Spent lots of time looking at the sdk and getting adb to work. BUT if it's possible to tether without root I may wait till it's really necessary.

3. afine1

afine1 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    thank you for this post. it worked like a charm. my speeds clocked at 962 down and 337 up. now i am just waiting to be able to tether through the wifi in the phone.

4. thetingster

thetingster Android Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2009
    Top Secret
    Utah, USA
    PDAnet is awesome! Tethering, one more reason I turned to Android. ;-)

5. gemini69

gemini69 Lurker

Jan 11, 2010
    Do you get full Internet access, like ping and VPN on your laptop?

6. Geoponic

Geoponic Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Male
    UK
    Does anyone know if PDAnet works on linux?

Like wine or something?

Tags: