1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support tethering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ubusmom, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ubusmom

ubusmom Lurker
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    I have Inspire with tethering plan (4g). Am I correct that tethering uses more data and can someone explain this to me.

Advertisement

2. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    What are you tethering to? Laptop? Yes a laptop will use more data as it will view websites in their full page where as on the phone itself you usually get the mobile version of the page which takes less data to download. And are you downloading things like movies, music or pictures etc?

ubusmom likes this.
  3. ubusmom

ubusmom Lurker
    None

Apr 10, 2011
    I'm tethering to a laptop as I don't have wifi in my community. Previously, I used a Mercury aircard but in March I switched to HTC Inspire as the ATT salesclerk said I would get better internet connections and speed with the Inspire. I had a 5G plan with my aircard and hardly ever went beyond 3000. Now with the HTC, I have gone over 4G everymonth. I think I have everything unchecked, disconnected, removed or force stopped that is using my data allotment but I still use too much data. I don't download music, videos, stream, youtube, send photos or anything else that consumed large amounts of data. My internet habits have not changed so I don't understand why my data consumption has increased with the Inspire. I can only assume that this smartphone uses data that my aircard doesn't. Is this correct? ATT advised me to change to a Shockwave. Any thoughts on this.