• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
There's a pretty cool hack they set up at Droidbionicroot.com
It requires purchasing a $3 app (no idea what its actual use is). But, you actually use the built in Wifi-hotspot app from Verizon (in place of the Wifi Tether). Looks easy enough, but some of the posts on XDA have told of bugginess. Anyone willing to give it a shot. I'd post a link, but I doubt it's kosher here.

However, it looks really sketch, use at your own risk.

Upvote 0
There's a pretty cool hack they set up at Droidbionicroot.com
It requires purchasing a $3 app (no idea what its actual use is). But, you actually use the built in Wifi-hotspot app from Verizon (in place of the Wifi Tether). Looks easy enough, but some of the posts on XDA have told of bugginess. Anyone willing to give it a shot. I'd post a link, but I doubt it's kosher here.

However, it looks really sketch, use at your own risk.

Pm me with link I will give it a shot.

Upvote 0
read this post and thought to copy it here. The thanks go to ddv2005 at xda.

"Hi,

I found way to enable Hotspot without Verizon Provisioning. I used SQLLite Editor to modify settings.db for "Settings Storage" application ( com.motorola.android.providers.settings ). Set entitlement_check to 0 and reboot the phone.

Dmitry"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuSHY7ed0oU&feature=player_embedded

here is a link with pictures on how to do it. http://droidbionicroot.com/droid-bi...i-tether-mobile-hotspot-on-your-droid-bionic/

Thanks to kris778 at xda. " only works properly with WPA security. If Hotspot is set to "open", you can connect but get no internet..."

and also this thanks to k1io at xda.
"Spent quite a bit of time debugging this entitlement check feature. It seems that it is available for USB, however, not enabled.

This does switch your profile to the 'DUN' authenticated dial-in.
Verizon can and does log the data used while authenticated under this profile (That's how they bill you.)

You can prevent this using radiocomm, and editing P2K values 8040, 8041, 8042, 8043 to match 8040"

Radiocomm download http://www.mediafire.com/?du2dimtzztj
A video on how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-xpkszC4GE&feature=player_embedded

moderator If I should not have copy this let me know.

Upvote 0
I keep getting the error "Handle to device is invalid - no device present" when using RadioComm.

Any suggestions?

Jeffery,

I had similar troubles, and clicked around until I got the program to recognize my phone. I THINK what finally worked was under the Settings tab, selected a different USB driver or setting. Right now what is selected is PST USB driver, so that might be worth a try.

btw, I'm a noob when it comes to phone hacking, and this seemed a little more complicated than I'm comfortable with, but I got it to work. Both the Radiocomm tweak as well as the entitlement edit.

I think I have free mobile hotspot now. I guess we'll see when I get my next bill...

Good luck.

Reactions: Jeffery
Upvote 0
Jeffery,

I had similar troubles, and clicked around until I got the program to recognize my phone. I THINK what finally worked was under the Settings tab, selected a different USB driver or setting. Right now what is selected is PST USB driver, so that might be worth a try.

btw, I'm a noob when it comes to phone hacking, and this seemed a little more complicated than I'm comfortable with, but I got it to work. Both the Radiocomm tweak as well as the entitlement edit.

I think I have free mobile hotspot now. I guess we'll see when I get my next bill...

Good luck.

My problem was drivers as well. I was using my wife's Vista laptop (my main computers are Mac). After some fooling around, I got it to work right. Thanks again for the info!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones