1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Tethering?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jktrahan, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jktrahan

jktrahan Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2011
    So I just rooted my skyrocket to be able to enable free Tethering. We'll I can't find any post about tethering in this forum and the app 'barnacle' sends me to the Android Market were i get the message "This app is not available on your carrier"?

So did I miss the boat on this? where do i find a wifi tether app to install.:thinking:

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    One of the reasons you don't find any sort of information about tethering in this matter is that it is a violation of your Terms of Service and it is forum policy not to openly discuss methods to circumvent your carrier agreement. While tethering is perfectly fine with carriers who permit it as part of their data plan, U.S. carriers require an additional data plan to tether and provide apps as part of that plan to accomplish this. Thanks for understanding.

3. vikingisson

vikingisson Android Expert
    None

So that is why tethering is just a basic function of mine? I can talk about it? Good, it's in the rom, USB and WiFI tethering. I didn't know it would be removed if you're on the wrong carrier. Wow, that's crazy. Works great on mine though.

4. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    It really is a U.S. thing. And believe me that most users who have data plans and want to tether are plenty angry about the whole situation. I am hoping that additional data plans for tethering will go the way of the dodo eventually, but for right now, using an app, setting or other method to circumvent an agreement which supposedly each user signs to get service is not condoned by AF and therefore we discourage discussing it.

Discussion about legal tethering is most certainly permitted as well as the ethics of the practices of U.S. carriers. Just not methods to do so.

5. vikingisson

None

Then there's little to talk about if I'm mostly alone in doing so. Have fun with your carriers and paying twice for data usage. I'll bet that rooting itself is against someone's TOS even if we're only trying to make it do what it's naturally capable of. First rule of Root Club is we don't talk about rooting. Or most of why we root.

6. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Actually no, it's perfectly legal to do so. The only risk you run by rooting is voiding your warranty. However, cases where a manufacturer or carrier has refused to honor a warranty because the phone was rooted are few and far between.

7. vikingisson

None

Then it's just too complicated and boring to consult the law before I discuss a topic in a tiny corner of the internet. enjoy

8. sugarspunz

sugarspunz Member
    None

Nov 15, 2010
    just curious.. could be talk about hypothetically circumventing TOS tethering policy for research purposes?

9. vikingisson

None

don't bother, do it on a forum with a more open mind. Many of us live where tethering is not against the rules and doesn't cost extra.

10. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    True enough, but in the U.S. where this site is hosted and the owner lives, it is a moral dilemma. Discussion of tethering and how to do it within the terms of your agreement is absolutely fine. Instructing someone in the procedure to circumvent carrier restrictions is another matter. We realize that people will do this, but I would no more assist someone in violating a contract as i would in helping them cheat on their taxes.

There are many threads discussing the policy and how people feel about it, and there are many ways to break carrier restrictions, but I am not certain about the ethics of slapping a "research" moniker on the information to justify something someone may have an issue with.

11. vikingisson

None

This forum has always worried too much but it's your forum and rules so fair enough. But I can't help anyone if I'm limited in what I can say and have to play lawyer and worry about where someone might live. I came to discuss tether and not breaking TOS.

12. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Let me state this categorically. Tethering or not tethering is a ethical choice, it is not criminal. IF (big if) the carrier requires an additional data plan and a proprietary app to achieve that, then trying to circumvent that is a deliberate breach in the signed contract between the carrier and the customer. The only reason to consult a lawyer is if you intend to do this and want to know what the consequences might be, or if you think that clause of the contract is unenforceable and you intend to challenge it in civil court.

The official position of Android Forums is explained in our Tethering Policy.

13. vikingisson

None

So sue me, I don't care how badly you misunderstand my intentions. I'm not breaking any rules other than yours. So I'll bugger off now and enjoy my fully legal tether but will be careful not to talk about it around here.

14. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I don't think you are understanding. We won't prevent you from discussing tethering, or others from asking about it. We just don't participate individually.

15. vikingisson

None

but that's exactly what you're doing, smacking people down on the chance that they might be trying to get around their specific TOS. Like I said it isn't a big deal for me, the forum is nearly dead anyway. I don't think I've asked a question for over a year, I've only tried to answer but that isn't working out well either.

enjoy

16. buffaloparty

buffaloparty Member
    None

Jan 26, 2012
    Buffalo Party
    I find this topic very interesting. I am kind of new to these forums and I am looking to learn more about the private messaging aspect of the forums. Feel free to PM me about this topic.

17. tedj101

tedj101 Lurker
    None

Dec 23, 2011
    Interestingly enough, AT&T is offering tethering. The only requirement is that you must have the four gigabyte data plan.

Regards,
    <TED>

18. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    I'm one of those grandfather'd into atnt unlimited. I also traveled across the country, and found the 2g data throttling to start at 2gb in some places, and non-existant in others. Actual throughput seems to be highest at places with lowest throttle point. What's this have to do with tethering? Everything.

19. davidlb512

davidlb512 Member
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    Male
    U.S. Army Medic
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I outright purchased a Skyrocket, and do not use AT&T. I purchased a Straight Talk SIM last year, and have used it in 3 separate phones since. Therefore, I do not have a User Terms of Service Agreement between AT&T and myself. What are the forums rules on me discussing how to enable tethering on my Skyrocket?

20. dannillh

dannillh Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    For those who want tethering without paying for it (as a add-on to your current data plan, ATT charged me extra $35 before I realized no need......) seriously, do some research. Hell, you're in the right place, and if you do it right......
    I'm connected thru my I727 right now sending this from my laptop via the internet. I have no tethering plan thru ATT. My connectivity is great, reliable and fast.
    There's an app for that, if you have roots...

"Fear is the Mind Killer"

21. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Aug 30, 2011
    Male
    Graduate Student
    MN
    There are apps for it even if you have no rootz :p

22. dannillh

dannillh Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    PM me and I'll share what I have learned...

23. dannillh

dannillh Lurker
    None

Jan 21, 2012
    root your phone anyway. why not. can be removed with no traces, and the benefits outweigh the cons.

24. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    You can post that here. Our tethering policy changed since the first mod post here, without following the dates, it's not clear from just reading this thread that happened.

But it's ok for members to discuss.