• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tethering

LoopyD

Android Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2012
Michigan, USA
So I'm messing around with wireless tether for root users and came across a dilemma. I can't get IE to work and rhapsody requires it to across the store. After some digging I found out that Metropcs blocks http through their proxy.

I tried another proxy (several actually) and can not get the applet inside of rhapsody or IE for that matter to work. Everything g else works and I'm able to browse on Firefox and chrome with user agent switcher. I've done a ton of Google searching and sit seems the only answer I got was to use a proxy so.... I'm stuck.

Some with better knowledge on this help me?

So I'm messing around with wireless tether for root users and came across a dilemma. I can't get IE to work and rhapsody requires it to across the store. After some digging I found out that Metropcs blocks http through their proxy.

I tried another proxy (several actually) and can not get the applet inside of rhapsody or IE for that matter to work. Everything g else works and I'm able to browse on Firefox and chrome with user agent switcher. I've done a ton of Google searching and sit seems the only answer I got was to use a proxy so.... I'm stuck.

Some with better knowledge on this help me?
you gotta pay for the service from metro to tether without third party apps or workarounds and proxies
unless you use pdanet but its not wireless

Reactions: LoopyD
Upvote 0
Sorry for bringing up a dead topic but I real need help. Tether with KLink I have the free version just to try it out and if I use user agent I can browse windows update, but I can't update because I am using a proxy to get around d the port 80 block. I need to find a tethering app that will bypass metro blocking port 80 so I can update my new install of windows. So when I use port 80 through a proxy the site fails saying an u known error has occurred, probably because I am using a proxy.

Is there another way to update windows XP?
Sorry guys but I really need help

Upvote 0
If all else fails I am thinking you could simply download the service packs and updates then install them.. Burn them/save them to an external/create a slipstream for the next time... Don't believe you'd need port 80 open for simple dl's would you?

I've dl'd them before to slipstream an SP2 disk and then again for SP3. Long process but so much better than downloading all those updates every time.

Windowz service pack center:
Service Pack Center - Microsoft Windows

Upvote 0
I use klink and have updated windows thin pc, and Windows 8, just properly configure klink
You can Also use a custom user agent string.
Look up user string for Windows phone's ie and mix the string to compress data so you still use the Mobile version of trident but still get full page functions. Play with it once you look up user strings. Also klink has settings to allow you to use Windows update :p

Upvote 0
So Klink looks pretty awesome. I was going to upgrade my plan to the truly unlimited 4g and pay for tethering, but according to Metro they only allow tethering on plans with data caps. shit i go through my 2gigs of mobile data just on my phone. Im currently without stable residence or reliable wifi access.
If you tether with klink the way yall describe will metro still detect it and terminate my contract as prr their warning? Or as long as I bypass their blocking do you think ill be fine?
I dont care if its usb or wifi tether tbh, and I usually prefer wirer connections for most things in general.
I was partially successfull tethering with pdanet,worked great for about 2 hrs then mysteriously wouldnt connect, despite not changing anything.

Upvote 0
Another thing I would recommend is a DNS changer, though the one in ROM Toolbox likes to lock up the phone every now and then to the point that the power button will not work.

After speaking to KLink support, I found a monthly-paid VPN called Hotspot Shield. Run it before you connect and with proper settings in your DNS Changer and Hotspot shield, you should be able to complete most of Windows Update. Its a cheap VPN, only about $9 a month.

I don't need it anymore, I cancelled my subscription due to actually getting working Internet. This is a good tool to have if you'd like to get full access. Unfortunately, there is speed to lose as a side-effect, but if you don't have Wi-Fi for whatever reason, this worked for me.

On the subject of VPN, make sure your VPN works with port 443 and you should be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones