1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Tethering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chrisbog94, Aug 1, 2013.

1. chrisbog94

chrisbog94 Newbie
    None

Sep 7, 2011
    Male
    Computer Service Technician
    Hudson, New York
    How does VM's tethering app ($15/mo) compare to root tethering apps? I'm currently using WiFi Tether which comes with most custom roms. If there is a speed/reliability increase I might just spend the extra money for it. Just for the record I barely hit 1.5gig a month on data. So no worries there.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Advertisement

2. colossus3874

colossus3874 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 11, 2012
    Male
    When I first got my phone, I paid for the service for the first month and then used Wifi Tether the second. Personally, I didn't see much of a difference. Of course, I didn't run any speed tests or anything to confirm but seemed the same. If anybody has tested with actual speed results, feel free to let us know

3. SgtPropain

SgtPropain Member
    None

May 20, 2012
    Male
    Manager
    Berwick, Maine, United States
    Most 3rd party Tether apps like Barnacle WiFi support enterprise networks. Meaning you can now (With 3rd party app) bridge VIA Wifi the IP4&IP6 etc. over a wired or wireless network. I.E. you can turn you phone into a broadband router. Speed will be approximately the same in my experience, possibly a higher ping on 3rd party's. What it comes down to; do you want stock (with 2-3 options) or 3rd party which gives you a multitude of options.

4. Kritter888

Kritter888 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 9, 2012
    Male
    Just a Small Pea
    Florida
    even though i doubt they have our phone anymore for sale it was also one of the perks to this phone without root or anything needed it came with hotspot abilities

Tags: