• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tetrd — USB Tethering & Reverse Tethering (NoRoot)

ramencoder

Lurker
Jan 10, 2020
Hi guys! I made a USB tethering and reverse tethering app that doesn't require root. It also doesn't require you to enable USB debugging (except on Windows, I'll try to fix that on a later release). It uses USB accessory mode which can make it faster than apps that use ADB.

Tethering
This allows you to share your device's wifi or mobile internet connection with your PC. You can use this if your carrier or data plan doesn't allow you to enable the built-in tethering feature of your device. Or if you have unlimited data plan, but your carrier caps your hotspot/tethering usage to a certain amount, say 7GB.

Reverse Tethering
This feature allows you to share your PC's internet connection with your device. I use this to reduce lag when playing online games since my room has an unstable wifi signal and my PC is already connected to the internet via an ethernet cable. You can also use this if you're in a place where your PC has access to wired internet and there's no wifi available.
Note: Some apps only check for wifi or cellular connectivity, thus will not work when reverse tethering.

Network

When tethering or reverse tethering, your PC along with all connected devices will be in the same network. This means a device can communicate with your PC and other connected devices. This is useful if you want to transfer files from one device to another or if you want to access a server (e.g. HTTP server) on your PC from your device.

Additional Features
• No root required
• No USB debugging required (except on Windows)
• Fast link speed (200Mbps+ on some devices)
• IPv6 support (may not work on some devices)
• Up to five devices can be connected
• Configurable network settings

You can get the app here: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.robskie.tether[/url

Last edited by a moderator:
Version 1.0.1 is now available! These are the changes to the mobile app and desktop server.

Android app
  • Fixed a bug that causes the app to crash when rotated.
  • Updated guide page to make it easier for new users to set up the app
Server app
  • Fixed an issue that causes the server to close when a VPN client is running on the user's computer. With this, users can now share their VPN connection to their devices when reverse tethering.
  • Fixed a bug on Debian Linux that prevents the server from opening.

Upvote 0
Version 1.0.2 is now available! These are the changes in this update.

Android app
  • Fixed a bug that causes the app to crash when opened on devices running Android Lollipop.
  • Fixed an issue on some devices that prevents websites from loading when tethering.
Server app
  • Fixed some UI issues and improved app stability.

Upvote 0
Version 1.0.3 has been released! The following are the changes in this update.

Android app
  • Fixed a tethering issue on some devices.
  • Fixed app crashes and hangs.
Server app
  • Fixed a rare bug that causes the app to hang when a device is plugged.
  • Fixed an installation issue on Windows machines with ESET NOD32 antivirus.
  • Fixed a launch issue on Gentoo Linux.

Upvote 0
Version 1.0.4 is now available! These are the changes in this update.

Android app
  • Fixed some rare crashes
  • Fixed frequent low memory notifications
  • Fixed tethering issue when playing server-based online games
  • Added Firebase Crashlytics
Server app
  • Fixed bug that limits the number of connected devices
  • Fixed USB related issues
  • Fixed Windows NCSI issue
  • Fixed crash on some Macs

Upvote 0
Hello ramencoder,

Just wanted to say I love your app. I use it to bypass the tether throttling on my T-Mobile phone, which as of today stopped working when I changed the TTL to 65. Your app is the only wait for me to get full speeds on my Mac. I'm even able to share my connection using tethering over Wi-Fi from my Mac! My question is this:

I'm able to see tetrd as a network interface in Macos "sharing" menu in the system preferences. But I can't see it as a network interface in the "network" menu in system preferences. I'm trying to work out how T-Mobile knows that I'm tethering even though I've changed my TTL to 65, which used to work for wi-fi. But I'm not able to go into the network settings and adjust or even view IP information / proxy information because to etrd only shows up in the sharing menu and not the network one. Can you please help?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones