• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text alert loud, others silent - how?

Hi nottstu, and welcome to AF :)

The answer to your questions is probably to install some apps.

Many 3rd party SMS apps support individual text alerts. The most popular are Go SMS and Handcent, though I'm currently using Pansi.

Separating text alerts from other notifications is more difficult (separating them from ringer volume or alarms is simpler). One way would be to set a silent tone as the default notification then something else for the texts, but it's a bit of a fiddle to change that. Maybe someone else will have a better idea?

Upvote 0
Can anybody please tell me if theres a way to have text alerts loud and other alerts silent?

Individual text alert tones for particulas contacts would be good too but I also can't see how to get that.

My SonyEricsson 902 was so lovely .....

You can configure notifications on an app by app basis. If you only want notifications from texts, then in all other apps (such as email, social networking apps, etc.) that generate alert sounds, you can go into the settings of those apps and select the "Silence" notification sound. That way, you will only hear notifications from text messages.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones