1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Text app adds unintentional recipients

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by SatterwhiteMedia, Jun 13, 2016.

1. SatterwhiteMedia

None

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    This is not the issue I've seen others report where the text app randomly selects the recipient and sends the text to the wrong person. If I start a new text and key in the recipient's name, then write my text and click "Send," the "To" field will sometimes show another recipient has been added. That is, the text will go to the originally intended recipient, but another person will get it, too. I can't delete the unintentional person from "To," because the new name is not visible until after the text has gone out. The app does not select ANY random person to add...it only adds someone who has been, in the past, part of a group text with the intended recipient. This is happening randomly, about 50% of the time. There does not seem to be any pattern.

Bill S.
    LG-D850
    Android version 6.00

Advertisement

vdraq likes this.
  2. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    What sms app are you using?
    Try clearing cache for that app.
    Maybe try a different sms app...I like Google messenger myself

vdraq and Jfalls63 like this.
  3. SatterwhiteMedia

None

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    I'm using the built-in messaging app that came with the phone. Yep, a different app might be the best fix. Any suggestions? I'm still curious to figure out what is happening with the text problem I described, because that was not happening before, and now, suddenly, it is. Wondering if it's symptom of a bigger problem...like a virus.

vdraq likes this.
  4. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert
    None

Jan 23, 2012
    Male
    Wales
    I would first of all clear cache as @electricpete suggested Settings>Apps>Messaging>Storage>Clear Cache see if it still persists.
    I assume the above was assuming you were using a 3rd party messaging app, as I assumed. I have tried a few of these but usually for me I end up going back to the stock messaging app which may be fine for you after clearing cache.
    In the past I have used Textra which i believe is one of the more popular ones out there also used EvolveSMS, both and very customisable. Also Google's own Messager app might be worth a go. You can also text from within the Hangouts app.

vdraq likes this.
  5. SatterwhiteMedia

None

Jun 13, 2016
    Male
    Success! I cleared the cache and sent a few test messages. So far, so good! Thanks! Cautiously optimistic...

electricpete, vdraq and SavageRobot like this.