• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help text attachment cannot be opened

girts

Lurker
Feb 2, 2011
Greetings..I'm a newbie here. Nice vibe.

If I may impose with a question on my Sam Galaxy g5 GT-I5503...
I get a text with an attachment that says to download. I do, and then get "Cannot download now, try later"...well I've tried later and later and now I have a 5 o'clock shadow. Any suggestions from you kind people?
regards, Girts

Welcome to the forums, girts.

The first thing that comes to mind is the attachment size possibly being too much for your data connection.

But no matter, I'd try going into the texting utility you're using and clearing the cache, at least, and even data and defaults if you're willing to reconfigure it. Be sure to backup some of your received texts so that the attachment link can be accessed following the cache/data clearing.

Menu > settings > applications > manage applications > menu > sort by "all" > (your texting app) > clear cache buttons, etc.

Then reboot. You'll likely then have the ability to download the attachment in its entirety.

Reactions: girts
Upvote 0
Frisco...appreciate your input. Still having issues. The image attachment is 20k. Is that too large? I notice you use the Sam Fascinate. Are our phones much different? I can't seem to locate the (texting app.) it says sort by size or filter. Filter says "all, running, downloaded" anyway, I cleaned the various caches, turned off phone then on and re sent from another phone a text with attach. and it still says "cannot open..try again later" I had a five o'clock shadow before, but now I'm getting close to a full beard. I thank you for your time and input , nonetheless. Really appreciate it. Just curious: how can you be thanked 1500 times for about 800 posts? Do people naturally want to thank you just for being you?...lol. later.

Upvote 0
Frisco....found the prob. Although text sending was not an issue, images were. I took a look at settings> wireless&networks> network operators> search networks. Well lo and behold, I connected to my provider and voila! Images flying back and forth now. Splashing on some Brute aftershave as we speak...no more beard! Again thanks for the courtesy of your time...and time is such a noble gift to another. later.
girts

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones