1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Text auto substitute option, abbreviations

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by to serve man, Dec 13, 2013.

1. to serve man

to serve man Well-Known Member

Is there anyway to add text auto replace such as y would be why and myadrs would just add my address in all text entry fields.

Thanks in advance. Tia would be Thanks in advance, for example.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

You could download a 3rd party keyboard that has better predictive text and would automatically try and assume that is what you are trying to say.

A good one would be Swiftkey.

3. to serve man

Predictive text won't work with custom abbreviations or when I want to type a long phrase by a shortcut. For example I use two or three different signatures and it makes it a lot easier to just disable signature and use sig1 and when hit space it types my whole signature, including line carriages, etc. I guess blackberry spoiled me..

For now, I am using excellent copy/paste functionality of LG G2 (has a clipboard with multiple copy history) but it would be cool to have text auto-replace function. Extremely weird that android did not even add this as core functionality..

4. NQuateman

NQuateman Member

Back to the keyboard approach, you could try Kii or SlideIt. They both have a feature to create your own abbreviations. I'm not sure about character string limitations, or the ability to have line breaks (e. g., for an email signature), but could be worth a try.

to serve man likes this.
  5. to serve man

This sounds great I will definitely try them.

6. to serve man

I am trying Kii right now, it looks good so far

7. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

SlideIt is a good one as well. I used it for awhile and you can make certain abbreviations equal to anything you want.

8. to serve man

Kii is OK but I don't like the way it handles multiple languages, you cannot switch and make it one language exclusive with on-demand switch like stock LG keyboard. That's my only complain with kii, but it handles auto-replace very well.

I will try Slideit but i never use swipe so I hope we can disable it.