• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text, email, missed calls in same thread like the BB???

mjwford1

Lurker
Dec 5, 2009
I was wondering if there's an app to lump all my texts, emails, etc. together like my Blackberry. I searched the first 20 Samsung Moment pages of threads and didn't see anything on this. I also searched the forums with various keywords to try to find before I posted here.

I was wondering if there's an app to lump all my texts, emails, etc. together like my Blackberry. I searched the first 20 Samsung Moment pages of threads and didn't see anything on this. I also searched the forums with various keywords to try to find before I posted here.

I'd love to have an app like that as well. I am also a bit aggravated that there is no notification LED like I had on my Blackberry. Maybe someone will release an app that'll light up one of the buttons on the front. That's all I need.. just something to let me know that I have a message.

My Blackberry Tour is/was an awesome device. I'm not going to shove it too far down in the junk drawer. I may end up using it again.

Upvote 0

You may want to check out our Executive Assistant app (Executive Assistant (Appventive)).

Preview gmail, calendar, missed calls, voicemail, SMS messages, & RSS feeds. Use as a lock screen replacement, as a welcome screen, or as a homescreen widget (several sizes to choose from).

Available as a free, ad-supported version or for just $1.99 you can get the ad-free version.

Just search for Appventive in the Market or scan the QR code in my profile.

If you do give it a try, I'd love to hear what you think.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
You may want to check out our Executive Assistant app (Executive Assistant (Appventive)).

Preview gmail, calendar, missed calls, voicemail, SMS messages, & RSS feeds. Use as a lock screen replacement, as a welcome screen, or as a homescreen widget (several sizes to choose from).

Available as a free, ad-supported version or for just $1.99 you can get the ad-free version.

Just search for Appventive in the Market or scan the QR code in my profile.

If you do give it a try, I'd love to hear what you think.

Cheers,
Steve

Just installed this... I'll try it for a bit and let you know what I think!

Upvote 0
I installed that app... I like the widget for home screen information, reminds me a little bit of TouchFlow on WinMo. I'm not as crazy about the welcome screen feature, mainly because it doesn't always show up consistently when I wake up the phone. Although even if it did show up consistently, I'm not sure I'd want to keep it... it also interferes with Handcent's popup when you receive a text... which I'm wary to give up, as it's one of my favorite things about Handcent. I actually think that the welcome screen is TOO comprehensive... I'd prefer something simpler, if I want to dive into all my messages and appointments I'll unlock the phone. Still I could see how this would be attractive for some... just too busy for me.

If I remove my google reader login info, will it remove the google reader tab? While I use google reader, I'm not really that concerned to know that my blogs have had new content pushed, and would rather give up the real estate the reader tab takes up to accommodate my fat fingers.

Scratch what I said above, I see how it shows up now... it waits a moment after being woke up, giving the user a chance to hit menu to unlock before it displays. Okay... that I like... if I continue to use that part of the app, I'll definitely appreciate that functionality.

Upvote 0
Using Executive Assistant further, I noticed that several times after bringing my phone from sleep, the message "restarting executive assistant" would scroll in my notification bar, so I'm not sure if it was crashing or what. My phone's been running generally slow... I'm not sure how much EA really had to do with that, but I uninstalled it with a bunch of other stuff. I'd consider installing it again though, especially with two changes:

a version that is the widget only... unless the dev could assure me that there aren't any extra processes bogging down my phone if I were using the full version but only using the widget part of it.

options to customize or exclude tabs on the widget... so I could remove google reader or even replace it with something like a single RSS feed.

Overall I enjoyed the functionality of the app... I just needed to get my phone running better and un-complicate it.

Upvote 0
I installed that app... I like the widget for home screen information, reminds me a little bit of TouchFlow on WinMo. I'm not as crazy about the welcome screen feature, mainly because it doesn't always show up consistently when I wake up the phone. Although even if it did show up consistently, I'm not sure I'd want to keep it... it also interferes with Handcent's popup when you receive a text... which I'm wary to give up, as it's one of my favorite things about Handcent. I actually think that the welcome screen is TOO comprehensive... I'd prefer something simpler, if I want to dive into all my messages and appointments I'll unlock the phone. Still I could see how this would be attractive for some... just too busy for me.

If I remove my google reader login info, will it remove the google reader tab? While I use google reader, I'm not really that concerned to know that my blogs have had new content pushed, and would rather give up the real estate the reader tab takes up to accommodate my fat fingers.

Scratch what I said above, I see how it shows up now... it waits a moment after being woke up, giving the user a chance to hit menu to unlock before it displays. Okay... that I like... if I continue to use that part of the app, I'll definitely appreciate that functionality.

Thanks for giving it a try. Glad you liked the widget and I agree that the lock/welcome screens isn't for everyone. Personally, I use the lock screen & widget on my own phone and find I can't live without either. But, I suppose I'm biased :).

Regarding the SMS popup: you can configure the Executive Assistant lock screen to automatically start-up with the SMS tab selected whenever an SMS arrives so you can get the same functionality as other SMS popup apps. This week I'll also be posting an update that will allow you to choose which app to launch when selecting the "launch messaging" option from EA (e.g., you could select Handcent if that's your SMS app of choice).

Regarding the reader tab, no, currently, the button will stay even if you choose not to display reader info. But very soon you will also have the option to display Twitter & Facebook feeds in this area.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
Using Executive Assistant further, I noticed that several times after bringing my phone from sleep, the message "restarting executive assistant" would scroll in my notification bar, so I'm not sure if it was crashing or what. My phone's been running generally slow... I'm not sure how much EA really had to do with that, but I uninstalled it with a bunch of other stuff. I'd consider installing it again though, especially with two changes:

a version that is the widget only... unless the dev could assure me that there aren't any extra processes bogging down my phone if I were using the full version but only using the widget part of it.

options to customize or exclude tabs on the widget... so I could remove google reader or even replace it with something like a single RSS feed.

Overall I enjoyed the functionality of the app... I just needed to get my phone running better and un-complicate it.

EA shouldn't cause your phone to slow down. The lock screen does require a background process, but it doesn't actually "do" anything -- its simply there to respond to screen on/off broadcasts by the system. Except when getting those broadcasts, its asleep. If you don't use the lock screen, then it isn't even loaded.

Having said that though, the EA lock screen is an app like any other and will take up some memory while its running, which may require the system to kick out some other app. So, depending on how you use your phone, this may cause some delay in resuming some other app that you were using before the lock screen came up since the system may have had to kick that one out. For me the lock screen is useful enough that this doesn't bother me, but I can see how its not for everyone.

The widget alone shouldn't have any noticeable impact on performance at all.

Regarding customizing the tabs: some of that's already in the works (e.g., Twitter & Facebook feeds coming soon) and I love getting suggestions from users for other improvements.

Cheers,
Steve

P.s. thanks for pointing out the "restarting" message -- no, EA wasn't crashing, but the lock screen did get delayed by the system. I'll need to rephrase that message.

Upvote 0
EA shouldn't cause your phone to slow down. The lock screen does require a background process, but it doesn't actually "do" anything -- its simply there to respond to screen on/off broadcasts by the system. Except when getting those broadcasts, its asleep. If you don't use the lock screen, then it isn't even loaded.

Yeah I didn't think it was necessarily EA that was causing my phone's lag issues... just a result of having a ton of apps on it in general (I've had it for all of a week, so I'm still going through a lot of apps to see what I like and what I don't).

It's good to know that the lock screen doesn't get loaded if you're not using it... I may reinstall it for the widget functionality alone. I'd even consider using the lock screen again... I think part of the reason I wasn't crazy about it is that it seemed to clutter up my ability to get back into my phone when coming up from sleep... until I realized that if I just hit menu before EA has a chance to appear I can still get to my unlock screen easily.

Facebook and twitter sounds awesome! That might bring me back lol. I would still want to get rid of the google reader tab though.

As for the memory and such... I'm still really trying to get my head around how it works in the linux world. I'm suffering from thinking of memory management like windows handles it, which is making it hard to comprehend when I should be concerned about a process slowing my phone and draining my battery vs. knowing when I'm fine. Stupid Microsoft!

Upvote 0
I couldn't get it work with google hosted email e.g. mydomain.com hosted on google's servers :-(

So had to uninstall it for now.

Executive Assistant does work with both Google Accounts, and hosted "Google Apps" accounts.

I'm not familiar with mydomain.com, but it looks like they offer their own email service?

If you want to give it another try, please email me at support@appventive.com and I'll try to help you get it set up.

All the best,
Steve

Upvote 0
I stand corrected, re-installed and re-entered my credentials and it now works :)

When using the widget should the items on your calendar tab be clickable?

Great! :)

No, currently calendar events themselves are not clickable, though clicking the calendar tab a second time will launch your preferred calendar app (or the default calendar app if you haven't selected a preferred app).

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
This app would be perfect if it would sync up with the Calendar app directly as opposed to going to Gmail for the calendar. I have my schedule on a corporate exchange server which is synced with the Calendar app and this program doesnt pull it in. Anyway of making this work?

Thanks for checking it out. Yes, we're working on adding Exchange support, but for now, we only support Google Calendar.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
Yeah I didn't think it was necessarily EA that was causing my phone's lag issues... just a result of having a ton of apps on it in general (I've had it for all of a week, so I'm still going through a lot of apps to see what I like and what I don't).

It's good to know that the lock screen doesn't get loaded if you're not using it... I may reinstall it for the widget functionality alone. I'd even consider using the lock screen again... I think part of the reason I wasn't crazy about it is that it seemed to clutter up my ability to get back into my phone when coming up from sleep... until I realized that if I just hit menu before EA has a chance to appear I can still get to my unlock screen easily.

Facebook and twitter sounds awesome! That might bring me back lol. I would still want to get rid of the google reader tab though.

As for the memory and such... I'm still really trying to get my head around how it works in the linux world. I'm suffering from thinking of memory management like windows handles it, which is making it hard to comprehend when I should be concerned about a process slowing my phone and draining my battery vs. knowing when I'm fine. Stupid Microsoft!

Just FYI to anyone interested: the current version of Executive Assistant (v1.3.1) includes both a Twitter option and the option to hide the Reader tab if you're not using it. If you give it a try again, please let me know what you think.

Facebook coming soon.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones