1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Text in telephone number messes things up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by drb01, Sep 6, 2011.

1. drb01

drb01 Newbie

I find it handy to put a small note at the end of some telephone numbers on my HTC Desire with gingerbread. However this causes problems. I can't send SMS to that number, the phone wont recognise the contact when that number calls me or I receive an SMS. Note that I can call the number whereupon it correctly ignores the text. Is there a way to have text in the telephone number without messing up the other functionality? I currently download numbers from Outlook to Google contacts (v cumbersome but that is another story!)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. drb01

drb01 Newbie

Anyone have any ideas?

3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

Moved to the appropriate section! :)

There is a notes section in peoples entry in the address book, would that suffice?

4. drb01

drb01 Newbie

Thanks, and I do use notes, but was hoping for a bit more than that. The functionality as it stands seems a bit inconsistent (e.g. can call numbers with text at the end, but can't SMS them). I guess I'll have to use notes if there is no other solution, which i suspect there isn't.

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member

I presume it's the way the dialer reads the number. It only recognises the number so that's all it will try to use, whereas the SMS app will try to read everything that's in the field.

I don't think there's any other solution unfortunately.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews