1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Text Input in Email Application

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaybee56, May 28, 2011.

1. jaybee56

jaybee56 Lurker
    None

May 28, 2011
    This is my first android phone and I love it. My question is about the text input box in the email app that comes with the phone.

When I type messages or use any of the other applications where you input text, if I tap on a word a blue cursor handle appears which makes it easy to move the cursor around and gives editing options if you then tap on the handle. When I do this on the email app there is a tiny little cursor that is difficult to move around. I have found out, though, that if you press and hold on the word the blue handles and editing options do appear but are nowhere near as easy to move around.

I was wondering if the email text box should work the same way as messaging etc or is it something I'll have to get used to.

Hope this makes sense, it's a steep learning curve for me and I need things to be easy 'cause I'm not as young as I used to be. :eek:

Advertisement

2. mithras

mithras Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    I have *exactly* the same problem. An example of what we're talking about:

[​IMG][​IMG]

On the left I try to edit the subject, where the blue cursor appears. On the right, the blue cursor is gone for the body text of the emai.

Please help, because this makes the application actually unusable :)

3. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    If you long press any text box you can select input methods and change your keyboard to swype. Now if you swype from the box in the bottom left (the one with the hand) to the one next to it (SYM) you get a new keyboard with all your edit, copy and paste keys

2011-06-28 20.44.08.jpg

Sorry for the small pic I tried to upload the whole screenshot but apparently it was too big

4. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Project Manager
    UK
    theres a fault in the email app that is yet to be addressed - it also doesnt do predictive in the samsung or keypurr keyboard. its a right pita.

5. mithras

mithras Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the help. I didn't know about this feature, this helps me to navigate the cursor again.

Nevertheless, I used to have the blue thing. For example in the GMail email app, it is still present:
    [​IMG]

So is there a way to get it back?

6. mithras

mithras Lurker
    None

Jun 28, 2011
    Ah, so it's actually a bug from Samsung? I thought I've not always missed the blue cursor, but anyway I really hope they will solve the problem in a next update, 2.3.4 or something..

7. Bath

Bath Newbie
    None

Jul 6, 2011
    I just got my S2 a week ago and the missing blue cursos in the email application was bugging me and had me wondering. Knowing it is a bug at least I know it's not me!
    Many thanks.

8. markbarry1977

markbarry1977 Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2011
    I hope they fix this soon it makes the wgole email editor pointless. I think i might be looking for an alternate email editor.

Any suggestions