1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Text Message Alert on Locked Screen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by roadkeel, Dec 21, 2012.

1. roadkeel

roadkeel Lurker

I have just switch from the iPhone to the Note 2. My wife and I were both due for an upgrade so we got her the Galaxy 3. On her phone when she recieves a message a circle appears on her locked screen to let her know she has a new message. Is there any way to set the Note 2 to have the same circle alert?
    Thanks...

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast

Settings -> Lock screen -> check Popup Note on lock screen

3. roadkeel

roadkeel Lurker

I tried this but I still do not get the circle on the locked screen stating I have a new message. On my locked screen I have 5 icons at the bottom, phone, text message, Google, email and camera. Could this be the problem? On my wife's GS 3 she does not have any icons on her locked screen.

4. Corki2

Corki2 Android Enthusiast

I know what you are talking about. I had the S3. The Note 2 doesn't have that feature.

5. pablo7

pablo7 Newbie

My Note 2 has that feature. Circle pops up. If I swipe the messege icon with the little notification bubble it takes me to the messeging app But if I swipe the pop up circle it takes me straight to the latest message. So their is a way to set it up.

6. chasers

chasers Well-Known Member

Does it have an envelope within the circle w a number underneath? Or a message within the circle?

7. roadkeel

roadkeel Lurker

When I get a text message it places a number in a very small red circle on top of the text message icon (open envelope) that is located at the bottome of the screen with the other 4 icons.

8. pablo7

pablo7 Newbie

I get the red circle on the icon at the bottom and a there is also a see thru circle with a envelope and a 1 under it about halfway between the clock and bottom icons on the right side.

[​IMG]

9. pablo7

pablo7 Newbie

Maybe its Carrier specific, what carrier do you have OP??

10. chasers

I'm on Sprint and I get both notifications also. Curious to know what carrier the OP have as well.

11. pablo7

pablo7 Newbie

Ya att here.

12. Corki2

Verizon here.

13. chasers

Do you have that feature on Verizon N2 also?

14. Corki2

No I don't.

15. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it on the Note 2 either and I'm on Verizon as well.

16. lcneed

lcneed Android Enthusiast

The more I read, the more it seems Verizon took away a lot of things.

17. pablo7

pablo7 Newbie

One thing I can't figure out is how to draw on a picture. I does not give you that option
    when you bring up the menu when viewing a pic in the gallery. I think its missing on att note 2's I've seen it on other note 2s I think it's called quik edit or something.

18. chasers

I wonder why Verizon cut that feature out. I mean its minor but a good one in case you dont see the notification on the message icon

19. Corki2

Same reason they took out the 4x4 SPlanner widget and Blocking mode. Who knows why Verizon chopped this up. It has great features, but we can't use them.

20. mh68

mh68 Member

I'm also on verizon with the Note 2 and I have the feature checked in the settings and mine doesn't do the popup either.

21. chasers

That is crazy I figured all carriers would keep all features for their users. Hopefully Verizon will release those features in an update.

22. roadkeel

roadkeel Lurker

First of all Thanks so much for all of the replies. You guys and girls are great.

I do have Verizon, so it sounds like I may be out of luck. It is just kind of bizarre that my wife has that type of notification on her GS 3 which is also on Verizon. But as I understand it she has a different OS on her GS 3.

BTW, the post at 1:00 CST by Pablo is exactly what I was asking about.

Secondary question, how do you get the phone to display your name on the locked screen?

Thanks again everyone.. I will probably have tons of other questions. I am just not very tech savvy...:rolleyes:

23. pablo7

pablo7 Newbie

"Secondary question, how do you get the phone to display your name on the locked screen?"

Settings>Lockscreen>Owner Information.

CoughThanksButtonCough.....:D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

24. MiXoLoGiSt

MiXoLoGiSt Well-Known Member

Well Verizon Galaxy S3s just got updated to Jelly Bean so unless she hasn't performed the update yet she is actually on the same OS as you.

25. Corki2

Yeah, I love the SPlanner full screen widget and I was really looking forward to Blocking Mode. I saw videos with all these cool features only to find that they weren't on the Verizon version. It never occurred to me that they would do that.

I rooted my phone to plug the security hole and added ths SPlanner widget while I was at it. But I'm still very disappointed at Verizon for hacking this great device for no good reason.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews