• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Message Alerts

Dantastic

Dec 6, 2009
So, I was just curious, is there a way to set custom text message alerts on the the Droid, or can you only use the default ones that came with it? I figured out how to do custom ringtones, but cant figure out custom text message alerts... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I believe he wants to set his own sounds in notifications which can be done by creating the folder "media" on the sd card. Inside that folder create "audio" and inside that folder create "notifications". So /sdcard/media/audio/notifications. now when you go to choose the notification, from any application whatever file you add will appear.

Upvote 0
I discovered using ringo lite and ringdroid in conjuction work great. i use ringdroid to edit and create new notification alerts if you need to such as if you have a song you'd like to use and ringo lite to set that tone. for some reason when i use ringdroid to set my alerts it doesn't work so i use ringo lite. just make sure to turn off your htc alerts through MESSAGES, SETTINGS, and then make sure notifications is not checked. i learned this the frustrating way because i had two different alerts going off interrupting eachother. let me know how it works caldera86@gmail.com

Upvote 0
I can't do this!!! I tried to make new folders and drag some but when I go to edit my ringtones it just comes up the phone ring tone menu?? What the heck!!! I could assign a different ringtone for calls and text messages for each contact. What am I doing wrong?? Someone get me started. I understand to make the folders, but can someone start at square 1 after I connect to my PC? Something is not clicking in my mind and I am frustrated!!! Thank you so much:thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi. Trying to add my own message alert to Desire. Set as hard drive . menu reads, bookmark,footprint,albumthumbs,backup,DCIM,HTCsync,LOSTDIR,MP3,Music,rosiescroll,rssreader,user man. No sign of sd card or the current notifications in any file so i don't know where to put my sounds for texts. i can add music therefore change ringtones but not alerts. Frustrated now pleae help.
Thanks

Upvote 0
I believe he wants to set his own sounds in notifications which can be done by creating the folder "media" on the sd card. Inside that folder create "audio" and inside that folder create "notifications". So /sdcard/media/audio/notifications. now when you go to choose the notification, from any application whatever file you add will appear.

1) Plug USB cable into phone and computer.
2) Mount the SD card so that the files show up on the My Computer window on your computer.
3) Open the phone drive (probably listed as Removable Media, it will be the one that usually does not show up unless you have the phone plugged in).
4) Create or open the "media" folder on the top (root) level.
5) Create or open the "audio" folder that is inside of the media folder (see step 4).
6) Create or open the "notifications" folder that is inside of the audio folder (see step 5).
7) Copy some audio files into the "notifications" folder.

Reactions: charb2400
Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for that but the list of files in my previous message are all that appear in the root. The phone is mounted ok and appears as an additional device etc but there is no such file as media or audio, or equivalent.The closest is the mp3 one but anything I drop in there appears as music on the phone so can only be used for ringtones not message tones. I've opened them all to look for notifications but it's not in any of them, very frustrating
Thanks for your help though:mad:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones