• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Message Character Count?

Okay so I know the character count comes up when there is 10 characters left (10/1) and counts down, then starts the next countdown. But even when I'm at the third message (13/3) for example, it all sends as one longer message, not 3 shorter ones. It's fine by me, I don't care. I was just wondering why that is?

The 'one long message' is really 3 short ones sent together and stitched back into one by the receiving phone.

On tariffs that actually charge for SMS this would still be changed as 3, hence can be useful to know when you are approaching the point where it will start a new message.

Okay, so if I had a limited amount of texts (I have unlimited texting), then that would count as 3 texts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones