• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text message from #9230

drexappeal

Extreme Android User
Apr 8, 2010
West LA, CA
Is anybody getting a text message from this number, everytime you get a new voicemail?

In the text message, this is what it says:

Message sent using invalid number of digits. Please resend using 10 digit number or valid short code. Msg 2114.

I searched on here, but the text message others were receiving doesn't seem to be consistent with my issue or when I receive the text.

Reactions: schjoe52js
That error message has a posted fix in a Sprint forum:

9230 fix.

First
, update your phone.

Second
, delete all past text messages from phone.

Third,
edit your contacts to 10 digit phone numbers.

Fourth
, remove your battery for 2 mins.

Fifth, reinstall the battery and let the phone reboot. This should fix the issue you are having.

Not on Sprint myself, so don't know if it's a true fix. It is described as "an outage error message," meaning some areas will see it and others won't.

Upvote 0
That error message has a posted fix in a Sprint forum:

9230 fix.

First
, update your phone.

Second
, delete all past text messages from phone.

Third,
edit your contacts to 10 digit phone numbers.

Fourth
, remove your battery for 2 mins.

Fifth, reinstall the battery and let the phone reboot. This should fix the issue you are having.

Not on Sprint myself, so don't know if it's a true fix. It is described as "an outage error message," meaning some areas will see it and others won't.

Read that fix, but all the talk on the Sprint forums was in connection with receiving the message when sending a text message. Mine is on voicemail, which hadn't been mentioned anywhere.

Upvote 0
Interesting that it's the same error message.. I'm nearly sure it's an outage issue, intermittent and/or regional.

The "invalid number of digits" seems to point to something in their system not working right with text or voice mail.

I actually think it is an error with the app. There must be something with the built in voicemail app that transmits via text message and the number the text message is being sent from is not a 10 digit number or valid short code. I emailed the developer about the issue.

Upvote 0
Do you now or have you ever used Google Voice? Just curious, grabbing at straws and such. I have had Voice do some wacky stuff, but I love the integration and flexibility so I am keeping it.

If you have, use a normal web browser to log into Voice and checkout the setting to see if everything looks OK. :thinking:

Good Luck!

I use Google Voice, but only for incoming calls, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Now that I think about it, I downloaded a free app called Contapps that connects to messaging somehow. I don't need it, seeing that what it does really doesn't add any value to what I need on the phone. I'm going to uninstall that and see if that was causing the issue.

Upvote 0
Bingo! Thank You all for your input. Turns out, it looks like that Contapps app was the one causing the text issue. Tested it out, right after I uninstalled. Man that was frustrating not knowing what was causing it. Only reason I had that app in the first place was because it was a paid app that was free (I think either through Amazon or Getjar). It had some unique customization things, but ultimately was not something that benefited me that much.

Upvote 0
Seems like this is a common issue for people also using Go SMS and Handcent, so in case others have been running into the same thing, here's the troubleshooting tips I was given from the Visual Voicemail product manager:

when VVM is not working; there are only a few things you can do to fix it. Give them a try.

Make sure that no 3rd Party Apps are affecting Visual Voicemail. Two applications in particular, Go SMS and Handcent have been causing issues with Sprint Visual Voicemail.

Reactions: Lifestylez_1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones