1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Text message had download link and disappeared when clicked

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Skiandtea, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Skiandtea

Skiandtea Lurker
    None

Apr 22, 2016
    Male
    So I got a group text message from one of my friends. The same friend that sent the group text also appeared to have sent me a download link of 1 KB in size. I clicked the download link, and then it just disappeared. Gone. Like it was never there. I asked my friend what it was about, and she said she never sent me a link. I checked my download history and nothing is there from today. What is going on? Did I get hacked with a fake text message? How can it just disappear after I clicked it?

Advertisement

2. samsung questions

None

Feb 22, 2017
    Same thing just happened to me. text from my son and I asked him what it was before I hit the dowload button - then he hit it before I could stop him and the message disappeared and nothing in my downloads and he does not recall sending anything. Feels suspicious and makes me nervous.

3. Decatour

Decatour Lurker
    None

Jun 8, 2017
    Identical situation: Sender didn't send it. Nothing in my downloads. No history of the message. Sender was my mom, which is alarming as it might be a worm sent to top contacts.

Around the same time this message was sent, she sent a group message with me as one of the recipients. I don't know how text messages work under the hood, but I wonder if it's possible that my (Samsung default) messaging app hadn't "unpacked" the group message and put it in the right conversation yet.

Thought it was slightly reassuring that this was first recognized in a galaxy s5 active, while mine is a galaxy s6 active. I haven't seen the scenario described exactly the same anywhere else.

Any more information out there?

#3 Decatour, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017