• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text Message Memory Full

ThisIsGoofy

Mar 25, 2011
I know there are other messages about this elsewhere but I still can't figure out why I am still getting this message, along with "phone storage space is getting low". I have cleared caches, tried to uninstall apps but most "uninstall" buttons are greyed-out. Android Assistance shows I have plenty of room left. I have Googled and Youtube-ed for the answer with no luck. I am not very technologically advanced so plain English answers would be appreciated. If you know of a link in here that has the answer please direct me to it. AND on top of this annoyance, now I seem to be getting pop-up crap when I'm in Tools/Startup Manager/System when I try to select items to kill on startup. they don't get killed and I'm getting little advertisements along the bottom. Right now I see one for a Dunkin' Donuts app for crying out loud. Thank you.

I know there are other messages about this elsewhere but I still can't figure out why I am still getting this message, along with "phone storage space is getting low". I have cleared caches, tried to uninstall apps but most "uninstall" buttons are greyed-out. Android Assistance shows I have plenty of room left. I have Googled and Youtube-ed for the answer with no luck. I am not very technologically advanced so plain English answers would be appreciated. If you know of a link in here that has the answer please direct me to it. AND on top of this annoyance, now I seem to be getting pop-up crap when I'm in Tools/Startup Manager/System when I try to select items to kill on startup. they don't get killed and I'm getting little advertisements along the bottom. Right now I see one for a Dunkin' Donuts app for crying out loud. Thank you.

Well, how many texts do you have in your phone? I get a warning when I am near 1000 (total). Don't forget that picture messages take up more memory. Delete old messages, or set you messaging app to do it for you. I usually delete individual texts at around 200 each.

Upvote 0
I delete messages and threads almost immediately and always definitely by the end of each day. They aren't still stored in the depths of the phone somewhere, are they? I did have trouble three days ago trying to open 2 photos someone sent me. They would not open, I deleted the message, but about 4 or 5 times since then the same message has reappeared with the two photos attached which still I can't open. It says "this message expires Sept 5" so I hope to not see it show up anymore after Wednesday.

Also, there are apps I would like to get rid of. For instance: airG Chat, Places, Latitude, Poynt, Play StoreNew and Weather to name a few. Anyone know where I can get a list of what was put on by LG that is not "uninstallable"? I'm not sure what is safe to get rid of.

Upvote 0
I delete messages and threads almost immediately and always definitely by the end of each day. They aren't still stored in the depths of the phone somewhere, are they? I did have trouble three days ago trying to open 2 photos someone sent me. They would not open, I deleted the message, but about 4 or 5 times since then the same message has reappeared with the two photos attached which still I can't open. It says "this message expires Sept 5" so I hope to not see it show up anymore after Wednesday.

Also, there are apps I would like to get rid of. For instance: airG Chat, Places, Latitude, Poynt, Play StoreNew and Weather to name a few. Anyone know where I can get a list of what was put on by LG that is not "uninstallable"? I'm not sure what is safe to get rid of.

As for apps that are safe to remove you can delete poynt, air g chat, places, and latitude. If you are rooted then there is an app called nobloat free that can remove them. I if you aren't rooted and can't seem to find a solution it may be easiest to do a factory reset.

Upvote 0

First and foremost, you have what sounds like AirPush on your phone. This is what's causing the advertisements. http://androidforums.com/android-ap...s-unwanted-shortcuts-browsers-redirected.html

Unless an app is causing a serious issue, you never want to kill them. Read this article in it's entirety.

As for the space issue, I recommend rooting the phone and checking out MacFett's app2sd tutorial. http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/364833-link2sd-you-tutorial.html

To get rid of all of the bloatware that VM put on there, root the phone and use TitaniumBackup's bloat remover. Or you can root and install a custom rom. Those have no bloatware.

Reactions: MacFett
Upvote 0

Just an FYI... LG did not put most of those on your phone. I'm pretty sure the only apps LG put on there are the default system apps and the Google apps. Virgin Mobile USA put the rest on there. Essentially any apps that you cannot uninstall, your going to need to root the phone to get rid of them.

If you mean to remove Google Play, you cannot do that unless you are rooted. Google Play is the only means you have to download apps directly from the Play Store. It is also your only means to keep your current apps updated. Let's say a security issue is found in one of your apps and the developer releases a patch, you have no way to patch the security hole without Google Play.

There's a list of apps that are safe to remove here in the All Things Root section: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/307617-list-bloatware-lg-optimus-v.html

Upvote 0
The Gingerbreak.apk will never mess up your phone, but it can be a pain in the neck to get installed.

Another option is EManU3LXX rooting method that uses your computer. Way easier and installs a custom recovery as well. All in all I think it is the best way to root, and install a custom recovery (the hardest part of the whole process if you have to do it manually).

It can be found here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/531810-rooting.html

If one download link in his thread doesn't, work try another.

Upvote 0
images

It is now official.

Reactions: MacFett
Upvote 0
Problem fixed. Apparently, android requires that you have a minimum of 25MB of internal storage to receive text messages. The Sharp FX Plus only has 69MB of free internal storage from the factory because of all the bloatware that comes preinstalled. Even though I had run the Master Cleaner app to clean up the junk, there still remained a bunch of junk in the individual caches of some apps like Maps and Gmail. I went through and cleaned out all of the caches individually in Apps Manager and that cleared up about 20MB of space and messaging started working again.

I tried rooting this phone with Super One Click, but it messed up the phone bad. Even after unrooting, multiple factory resets and a master hard reset, the wifi still does not work. I posted the problem on this forum and even the best and the brightest people on here could not get the wifi to work again.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know about the device specific rules of this forum, but the text message memory full error is not a device specific error as you can find people with dozens of different models experiencing it. There are device specific problems, rom specific problems and and Android specific problem. I look for advice on all threads regardless of device when I need help.

Thanks for the offer to help through PMs. I would take you up on this but I am giving the phone to a friend that is leaving for Canada tomorrow, so I won't be taking you up on this. The offer is appreciated very much.

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
I have a definitive answer and solution for this problem. I had this same problem on my phone (Moto E, 2 gig memory). The problem was an app that cached a whopping 1.8 gigs in just one day. The app in particular was Frostwire, but I was able to recreate the problem with other apps. I saw that the app was using too much memory and deleted the app. Here is what went wrong: I deleted the app BEFORE I cleared the app's cache. After deleting the app, the 1.8 gigs of cached data was still on my phone after reboot. You would think that deleting the app and rebooting would clear that app's cache, but it does not. I had to search through the phone's memory to find the Frostwire cache and empty the cache after deleting the app. So if you are having this problem, identify which app is caching large amounts of data, CLEAR THE CACHE, then delete the app.

Reactions: daffyducknj
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones