• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text message notification during phone call

I recently did the ICS update and then a factory reset and since then I have had to hang up and restart my phone 3 times in order to stop the in-call text notification. I have turned off all notifications on both handcent and the stock messaging app. I haven't found anyone else who has this problem and solved it. It has been very embarrassing when on the phone with clients. Any ideas?

TE=KitsapAndroid;4800086]It's not a "bug", it's a "feature" of ICS. Maybe the part about the person you are talking to is a "bug", but that would be the only part that is. Also, on my phone, only I can hear the notification, not the person I am talking to. But then, I've had pretty good success with the ICS update, where others clearly have not.[/QUOTE]

No I am not referring to being notified when you have an actual text msg ... I am talking about receiving PHANTOM txt notifications ie. you hear the notification but there is no new text when you check.

Upvote 0
Let me be clear.....the text message notification alerts me through the earpiece so loudly that person on the other end of the phone call can hear it. I have to hang up, restart the phone and call them back just to stop the notification sound and continue my call. This is with all notification options unchecked on both messaging apps. I would call that a bug in the feature.

I did manage to fix it by changing the notification sound to a shorter audio file and it went away. I don't know why it changed anything but it works so far.

Upvote 0
Ok so I've made this work by using Handcent SMS which I prefer to use over the stock messaging app. Here is what you do:

-Go into the stock app, settings, select ringtone and silence the notifications, also uncheck the display notifications in status bar option.
-Go into handcent and choose your ringtone.
-In handcent under notifications you can choose weather to alert you with a beep or vibrate during a call, check as you please. FIXED!

Your phone will no longer alert you in the middle of phone calls unless you want it to!:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones