1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Text message notification

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by spritepac, Aug 30, 2011.

1. spritepac

spritepac Lurker

So i literally just bought an atrix and I really like the phone except for one small problem which I cant seem to fix. Everytime i get a text i get a little notification in my notification bar at the top of the screen but my text messaging icon or whatever on my home page doesn't show a notification or anything different to alert me visually that I have a text. I am a big vibrate all fan so everything vibrates for me. So basically I get a text it vibrates and a little notification comes at the top and in the drag down notification bar but I would like one where it visually shows on the text messages application is there a setting for this and does anyone even understand my question?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast

I know what you are talking about. We would have that on BlackBerry phones where it showed a little red circle on the corner of the app with the number of new messages.

Android does not do that stock. - It's all in the Notification bar.

The only thing I know you can do is switch your launcher from the stock MotoBlur to Launcher Pro. Then, put the SMS as one of the apps in the launcher dock. You can then go into settings and get it to display the number of new messages on that icon.

EDIT - here's a screenshot of what it looks like:
    [​IMG]

You can also do what I do. I use the Handcent SMS app instead of the stock SMS app. This lets me configure custom settings for each contact. This means notification alert sound, color of the LED, and color of the icon in the notification bar. Example, if my fiance sends me a text, I get alerted with her voice going "Hello Robby" (A sound clip she recorded), the LED flashes PINK and the icon in the notification bar is GREEN instead of blue.

3. WolfmanRobby

WolfmanRobby Android Enthusiast

4. spritepac

spritepac Lurker

oh ok well yea i was just wondering if the stock had that

5. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

I don't like the stock text messaging app, but use "Handcent" instead. It has a feature that shows you the unread count on the app its self when placed on the home screen. It has a lot of other useful features like a popup window of text you received and can even show over the lock screen. So if you get a text and your phone is sleep, It will wake it up for the time you set, then go back to sleep. (But the popup window will remain there for you to see, when you wake your phone again.) You can even answer text from this window and slide thru all new text, if more then one.

Motorola Atrix 4G Forum

The Motorola Atrix 4G release date was February 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1930mAh battery.

February 2011
Release Date
Reviews