1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Text Message Problem After Jelly Bean Update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by substring, Dec 22, 2012.

1. substring

substring Android Enthusiast

After the Jelly Bean update last week, I do not have any problem like battery drain or app malfunction. I have none of the problem that people are posting here. But I have a very strange issue.

It seems that the Verizon Messaging app is taking over all the notification. The default messaging app (I am not sure it is from Android or TouchWiz) is no longer providing any notification through sound, icon message count, or notification bar. The only thing that shows up on my notification bar when I receive a text message is from the Verizon Messaging app. So when I click on it from the notification bar, I am launching the Verizon Messaging app instead of the default messaging app. But I prefer the default messaging app and I don't like the Verizon app. Does anyone know how to change it back?

Thanks in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. substring

I guess this is not a texting crowd?

3. john_g

john_g Android Enthusiast

I don't know the Verizon app, but surely it has notification options in its settings? If so, all you need to do is go there and disable them, then launch the stock messaging app and enable the notifications in there.

4. Musky

Musky Android Expert

I can't find a "Verizon messaging app" either. It has never come up on my phone. I have the stock app, which I don't use. I use Handcent and set it as default so that it disabled the stock SMS app. I have no problems with notifications. When I went with Go launcher, I had to download their notification plug in to have the number of messages appear on the Handcent app icon, but that was easy enough.

5. substring

Yes, I have disabled the notification on the Verizon Messaging, and that's why I am not getting any notification at all on all of my text messages. Apparently, the notification setting on the Verizon Messaging app is overriding the notification setting of the default messaging app. I think Verizon has added some "undocumented features" to this Jelly Bean update to favor its own apps.

6. wormser

wormser Newbie

I had a similar issue with the Jelly Bean update on T-Mobile. It locked my voice mail to the T-Mobile app and I can no longer tether.

I am guessing that you will need to root the phone to remove the bloatware. I'm still looking for a guide for my phone.

7. Max Johnson

Max Johnson Member

Before the JB update, my handcent problem was no FB contact picture syncing. Now I still have that problem plus Handcent constantly tells me I have a text when I don't and it lists a bunch of old messages in the notification window.

8. gm514

gm514 Lurker

I'm using a EVO 4G LTE and since JB update texting is totally screwed up - keeps giving me a send fail message after a LONG wait (1-2 min), even tho the message sent. So I re send, again fail notice, re send. My friends are all asking why I'm sending them the same txt over and over again. Using the stock messaging app.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews