• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help text message ringtone

There are a few ways to do this, depending on the program you use. If you are using the built in messaging program, go to settings-sound & display-Notification sound.
From there, you can set your default notification sound. If you want to use your own ringtone, made from an mp3 the easiest way is to download ringdroid from the market, create the notification from an mp3 on your memory card, but be sure to save it as a notification, and not a "ringtone."

This can also be done by opening up the messaging application, pressing menu, selecting settings, scroll down to notification settings and select sound.

Either way, create the notification sound using ringdroid first.

Upvote 0
steadramon i am really thick 1st,how do u make a folder in the root of your sd card,i need step by step instructions would be really grateful if u could help

One you plug your phone into your PC, an notification will appear on your phone saying 'USB connected'. Click the notification and press the 'Mount' button that appears in the message box. This will now allow you to access your SD card from your PC liek you would and USB drive.

Upvote 0
i just bought the htc hero and i want to download my own ringtones and set them as my text message alert and other alerts. its only giving me the option to set a phone ringer or contact. can someone give me step by step on what to do. like i said im new on this phone, its a lot different from the palm centro. i seen others talking about ringdroid, i downloaded it but unsure what im suppose to do with it, etc. i woud really really appreciate someones help. thank you.
:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Upvote 0
The way I always recommend

1. Plug the USB into the phone and into your PC

2. Drag the notification bar down (Drag the clock down from the top of your screen)

3. Click 'USB Conected' and then 'mount'

• 3.1 On your PC click to view your phone folders
  • 3.2 In your SD card make a new folder called 'media'
  • 3.3 Inside the 'media' folder add a folder named 'audio'
  • 3.4 inside the audio folder add 3 folders 'ringtones','notifications' and 'alarms'

4. Select the mp3's you want to use and put them in coresponding folders

• notifications folder for message tones
  • ringtones for ringtones
  • alarms for alarm tones

5. Switch your phone off and back on. the ringtones will be found in the default tone menus

**NOTE-KEEP CASE AS I HAVE TYPED IT AND ANYTIME YOU ADD NEW TONES REMEMBER TO SWITCH YOUR PHONE OFF AND BACK ON**

Need anymore in depth information feel free to PM me

Reactions: wardfan
Upvote 0
i have the htc hero. how do u personalize text tones with your own ringtone...per contact? ex. if i wanted to use a tupac song when my brother texted me. but i wanted to use a wayne newton song when my other brother texted me for his notification. i know how to use them for call ringtones, no problems there. thanks everyone!

You already asked this in a thread and it has been answered there!!!!:D:D

Upvote 0
I tried everything I could to get this to work, and I finally figured it out.

I have an HTC Hero and the folders for notifications weren't working for me. I figured out how to do it.

1. Mount your phone to the computer.
2. Open the folder to view files.
3. Create "media" folder, then "audio" folder within that, followed by 4 folders:
-Notifications
-Sounds
-Ringtones
-Alarms
4. Put any mp3 you wish to use for your text messages into "sounds"
5. Remove phone from computer.
6. On your phone, go to your messages (where you get all your text messages).
7. Hit menu on your phone.
8. Go to settings.
9. Scroll down under notification settings.
10. Go to "select sound"
11. Select the song you put on there.

It worked for me!

Reactions: rnbows81
Upvote 0
The way I always recommend

1. Plug the USB into the phone and into your PC

2. Drag the notification bar down (Drag the clock down from the top of your screen)

3. Click 'USB Conected' and then 'mount'

• 3.1 On your PC click to view your phone folders
  • 3.2 In your SD card make a new folder called 'media'
  • 3.3 Inside the 'media' folder add a folder named 'audio'
  • 3.4 inside the audio folder add 3 folders 'ringtones','notifications' and 'alarms'

4. Select the mp3's you want to use and put them in coresponding folders

• notifications folder for message tones
  • ringtones for ringtones
  • alarms for alarm tones

5. Switch your phone off and back on. the ringtones will be found in the default tone menus

**NOTE-KEEP CASE AS I HAVE TYPED IT AND ANYTIME YOU ADD NEW TONES REMEMBER TO SWITCH YOUR PHONE OFF AND BACK ON**

Need anymore in depth information feel free to PM me

Im stuck when you tell me to look for sd card folder, cannot find it!! if i dont have one can i make one? how? i found the sd card folder on my phone in applications tho.

Upvote 0
OmG!! I just got the merge, i am a complete dummy to it, i read all of these quotes, trying to find out how i can save my ringtones saved on my computer and send them to my phone's notifications.
You said it perfectly, and I did it
thank you soooo much

XoXo @Jacabus
I have an HTC Hero and the folders for notifications weren't working for me. I figured out how to do it.

1. Mount your phone to the computer.
2. Open the folder to view files.
3. Create "media" folder, then "audio" folder within that, followed by 4 folders:
-Notifications
-Sounds
-Ringtones
-Alarms
4. Put any mp3 you wish to use for your text messages into "sounds"
5. Remove phone from computer.
6. On your phone, go to your messages (where you get all your text messages).
7. Hit menu on your phone.
8. Go to settings.
9. Scroll down under notification settings.
10. Go to "select sound"
11. Select the song you put on there.

It worked for me![/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones