• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Message Won't Delete

I cannot delete a text message on my LG GW620 phone, the message won't show up in the inbox so i can't delete it. It only comes up in the notifications bar. I've cleared the message data in the application manager but it keeps comming back.

Do you only have the stock Messaging application or other messaging applications like Handcent or ChompSMS?

If you have multiple messaging apps go into each one and one of them will show that text.

Have you checked texts on the SM card?

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply, only orig text msg app, it is more a notification message from T Mob. "these are the settings you require for picture messaging etc... it does not appear in the text box to delete. If I delete from notif. bar it come back next time I open text.
How do I check text on sim card?

Thanks for help.

Upvote 0
Thanks for reply, only orig text msg app, it is more a notification message from T Mob. "these are the settings you require for picture messaging etc... it does not appear in the text box to delete. If I delete from notif. bar it come back next time I open text.
How do I check text on sim card?

Thanks for help.

To view SIM card messages go to Messaging>Menu>settings>Manage Sim card messages.

Upvote 0
Sorry to take so long, if it works 1st pic message in notification bar 2nd with bar down open, 3rd when message tapped.
Many thanks
26082010196-1.jpg

Upvote 0
Just wondering, did you end up getting this sorted? I have the exact same problem and I cant seem to fix it.

My story... The other day I deleted a message thread and around the same time or just afterwards I received another message from the same person whose thread I deleted. For the whole week, that message has been showing up as an unread message. it shows up in my notification area and I can read it from there (its only 1 word), but whenever I try and go to the message, it just opens a new blank message box as if I had gone to new message.
The weird thing, I have just done a full reflash with a new ROM from the SGS ROM kitchen, and it's still doing it! Now admittedly, I did restore my SMS's from Titanium Backup, but still, what the hell? How can I get rid of it? Is it something I did or a problem with my carrier re-delivering the message over and over, or something else? Every time I reboot my phone it comes back.

I can clear the message from my notification area, but it always comes back. And my Launcher Pro message shortcut always has the "1" unread message bubble. It's driving me nuts!

Upvote 0
Shameless bump...
:)

Googled around and cant find a way to fix this. I know a full hard reset would probably do it, but I really dont want to have to set everything up from scratch. There must be a way to simply wipe all the SMS data or delete the database file or something? I dont mind losing my texts, I have them backed up to Gmail anyway. But i'd rather avoid a full hard reset.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem with blank text messages dated in 1969 would not delete. This all started when my Droid 2 Global froze and I had to pull the battery to reboot. After the phone rebooted, if I received a text and then attempted to delete it, I was left with a blank message from the same sender dated December 31, 1969.

After almost giving up, I located a fix by going to the Android Market and downloading History Eraser. I had it delete all SMS messages and that solved the whole problem. Hopefully, if anyone is still looking for a fix, this will help them, too.

Upvote 0
This issue turned out to be caused by using MyBackup Pro to restore SMS and MMS messages from my old HTC Evo to my Galaxy S3 (Sprint). I was able to fix it by backing up/Restoring ONLY SMS messages, the issue will still be there if you try to restore any MMS messages.

1. Installed History Eraser from the Play Store
2. Use History Eraser to delete ALL SMS/MMS/Failed (just checked everything under SMS/MMS) and ran it
3. Opened Messaging app again and selected Delete Threads > Select All > Delete

Note, it might still show all your texts in the Messaging app but you can't open them. Restart the phone and they should all be gone. If not then repeat step 3.

After your messaging app is empty, you can use MyBackup Pro or whatever you use to restore ONLY SMS messages! I did not have to factory reset my phone and it is working fine now. Sucks to lose the old MMS messages but it's better than restoring nothing :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones