1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General text messages built up, now can't delete

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mslam02, Feb 24, 2010.

1. mslam02

mslam02 Newbie

Dec 12, 2009
    I have a thread of now, 2800 texts - every text to that person since i got the phone back in november. Now the Eris is very laggy, and deleting the other threads of texts helped, but everytime i try to delete this thread of 2800 (and counting) texts the program crashes and i have to force close it.

I am using the OEM eris messages program.

Any help would be great, thank you.

Advertisement

2. soulfetcher13

soulfetcher13 Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    lab guy for Coca Cola
    tennessee
    Welcome to the machine. Try sms backup and restore from the market. And for heavens sake, give your thumbs a break.

3. mslam02

mslam02 Newbie

Dec 12, 2009
    this took almost 2 hours, but it worked... Thanks!

4. Just a bit of food for thought, mslam; if you're deleting all those texts, it means you don't want them and probably didn't want them for very long after you read them. Preventative solution to the problem you posted about: delete your texts much, much sooner than when they count up to in the hundreds, let alone the thousands.

5. karib

karib Android Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2010
    Female
    Dental Assistant
    IL
    an app in the market called "delete old messages" will delete anything past a certain date/age that you select. Put the icon on one of your homescreens and use it once a week or so. Makes the sms maintenance very easy.

6. Whoa, very cool.

Looking for it right away. Anything to help with the cleanup chores is welcome on my phone.

7. mslam02

mslam02 Newbie

Dec 12, 2009
    Yeah, I will do that now. My original thoughts were parallel with that of the guy from this thread > http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/40569-android-sucks-deleting-messages.html

In the idea that, i would think if it has the ability to hold that many, it should be able to delete that many...

but oh well, preventative maintenance it is...

8. goofdad

goofdad Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Software Engineering
    Oregon
    +1

Just installed this. This is a WIN in my book. When deleting messages before the app would just appear to hang while deleting. Delete old messages gives you a progress bar, an indicator, and a "Stop" button in case you need your phone while it's in progress.

Great App!

Delete old messages v1.2 Application for Android | Tools

9. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Android Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2009
    If you use the "Stop" button during deletion, does it still delete the messages it already processed during that time? Or does it completely cancel the entire deletion?

Just curious, thanks. Sounds like a great app.

10. goofdad

goofdad Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Software Engineering
    Oregon
    Just tested ... it deleted them ... :D

11. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Android Expert

Nov 30, 2009
    T-Mobile
    NJ
    Dude, I've been pushing this app for almost 2 months!
    Every time an "Eris sucks at deleting texts" thread comes up i always tell people about the *Delete Old Messages* app

12. Yeah, but I've had you on "ignore" for several weeks. I can't see your posts.

I'm replying to that one via psychic powers. :D :D :D