1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Text messages crash when no capital letter is automatically given

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gazzabone, Aug 19, 2011.

  1. Gazzabone

    Gazzabone Lurker
    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    5
    Posts:
    1
    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2011

    Aug 19, 2011
    1
    0
    5
    When I enter a full stop and press space, the next letter should automatically be a capital letter.

    This works 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time a lower case letter is given as the first letter of a new sentence.

    When I go to delete this letter to replace it with a capital this makes the text crash and returns me to the start of the conversation list. I then have to scroll right down to pick up where I left off. Very annoying - I do like to be grammatically correct!

    I have had this phone for 2 weeks, but this was a replacement for another Desire S which I owned for a month which had the same problem. That phone had an unrelated unfixable problem. I didn't send the sim or SD card back however.

    Anyone else had this? I cant be that unlucky that i have the only 2 phones that do this can I?!
     

    Advertisement

  2. notebook

    notebook Android Enthusiast
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    93
    Posts:
    732
    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011

    Jun 10, 2011
    732
    169
    93
    Your problem seems to share a couple of symptoms with this widely reported bug.

    Have you tried a soft reset? Remove the battery for 30 seconds, this will clear the phone's cache.

    Are you using the widget to write texts or accessing them via the Message app? Might be worth trying both to see if it makes a difference. Also, does the problem occur in both landscape and portrait modes?

    There are alternative SMS apps on Android Market, which might be worth trying to see if the problem is with the stock Message app. You may want to try installing a different keyboard to see if this helps, too.

    Menu > Settings > Language and keyboard > Touch input. It may be worth exploring the settings there, especially in 'Text input', to see if it's possible to bump out the error you keep getting. I.e. select some settings you wouldn't ordinarily use and switch off those you do, then try them out to see if you get the same problem. If the problem doesn't happen, then select your original settings to see if it really has gone.

    And there's always the Factory Reset; make sure you've backed up your contacts, etc, before doing this.

    PS See also here.
     
Tags:

Share This Page

Loading...