• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Text Messages Disappearing

Pooh434

Apr 20, 2010
Morning Incredible users,

I want to know if anyone is experiencing the same issue and if they have any fixes. I lost all of my text messages three times since getting the phone last Wednesday. The first time, someone was trying to send me an MMS. It didn't go through, and caused a Force Close (for which you have no choice but to select OK). After the error, all my previous text messages were gone. I immediately installed SMS Backup and SMS Backup and Restore. I like that SMS Backup is almost instantaneous back-up (to your Google account), but you cannot restore the messages to the phone. SMS Backup and Restore will back up your messages to your SDcard and restore, but it only runs at a pre-selected time (unless you manually sync before the selected time). Twice after the first error, I've been in the middle of texting and received the Force Close due to "Message Download Failure"; and after both times I lost all messages again. I was able to restore the older messages, but not the ones sent and received after the backup schedule. The only thing I've done is used SWYPE instead of the stock keyboard. But this seems like a network error. Help!!! Anyone!!! :(

My daughters phone has been doing this, so she called online help. They told her to return the phone to a VZW store for a new one. Of course the stores don't have any, so I went to the tech service desk. The tech guy told me this can happen if you have a very long text string, like 200 texts, or if you have a lot of apps open. Apps don't close by themselves right away, so he installed Advanced Task Killer from the market place (it's free). He said to use it to close all the open apps when you have been using the phone for a while. I also have an Incredible (no problems) and I installed Task Killer and when I opened it the first time, there were almost a dozen open apps.
I don't completely buy his answer, but it might do the trick. The tech guy said this is common on the Eris, but he hadn't seen it on the Incredible yet.

Upvote 0
Just happened to me for the second time.. at least this time I had just recently recovered from the first time so I didn't lose much..

I lose a solid month's worth of txts the first go round..

I'm almost willing to buy the 'Too many apps running will cause the SMS to fail" scenario.. as immediately after this happened (not but 10 minutes ago).. I had to force close SMS.. couldn't reopen it as it was stuck on "loading".. Opened my task killer and sure enough had like 20 things running (woops!)..

I thought maybe I picked up some bad mojo from the Market, so I got rid of anything I didn't trust or was unnecessary.. but obviously wasn't the issue.

Keep an eye on the task killer.. honestly I just set mine to aggressive so it shuts apps down constantly now unless I have them whitelisted..

Upvote 0
I've only had the Messages app force close once on me, but I didn't lose any messages thankfully. I don't run any antiviruses or ATK. I do run System Panel which can kill tasks, but it only does so at my command and I have most things excluded from it anyway. I just use it to kill a couple of things.

Upvote 0
Whats up guys?

So today I went to rugby practice, left my phone in my car and came back and all my text threads were deleted. There were probably like 100 different threads with anywhere from less than 10 messages in a thread to a couple thousand (gf). I do not really delete my text messages at all and this has never happened before and my settings are set not to delete anything. Any idea what happened or if this happened to anyone else before. I saw a few other threads but no one seems to know whats going on?

Could this be related to froyo? I updated with the update.zip file from xda as per their instructions two days ago. I also regularly use handcent as my messaging app.

Thanks,
Brendan

Upvote 0
Exactly the same thing happened to me this morning! :eek:

Not cool at all. :mad:

I upgraded the operating system last week, but that ran flawlessly. No problems. My archived txt msgs were still intact.

Last night, they were all intact. I had several hundred msgs to about 2 dozen people.

This morning, when I first checked my msgs, I found that they are all gone. Vanished.

Nothing else seems unusual, nothing else missing. Call history, contact data base, all ok.

I did nothing unusual last night: no poking around in menus or settings where I could have inadvertently deleted all of them. (I've accidentally deleted a thread in the past; I know how to do that,and how to not do that.)

After discovering this, I rebooted the phone this morning by turning it off and on with the switch. No help.

I just got off the phone with Verizon Wireless. Called support, got immediately bumped up to level 2. Reps name was Mike.

He said with 8 gigs, it's unlikely that I had exceeded memory. (I got no warning about that.)

He had no answers or suggestions. He claims that he's never run into this issue before, finds no reference to it in his FAQs, manuals, trouble shooting guides, etc. (He also owns an Incredible himself.)

His only suggestion, do a reboot by removing the battery. That apparently will reset the connection to the network. I'll try it, but am not optimistic.

Oh, his other more useful suggestion: check the market for txt msg archive/storage apps.

Will do. (Does anyone have any suggestions for one or more?)

If anyone has any information on this issue, I'm reading.

Stone

PS: After doing some reading here (resulted from a google search), I've now downloaded and installed SMS Backup. Still waiting to see how it works. Allegedly backs up to my gmail account, but I've not seen results yet after first manual backup. (Yes, IMAP is enabled.)

Upvote 0
The same thing happened to me. Woke up this morning and all of my text messages were gone. I have not downloaded any new app or updated anything that I have currently. Only update was to 2.2 last Wednesday. Spoke with 2 technical support people at Verizon who could not help at all and had no idea on how these messages randomly disappeared. Did a soft reset and nothing came back. Any suggestion on how this happened sometime between midnight and 8:00am est.

Upvote 0
mine went one step further .. it just started rebooting and wouldn't stop..I pulled the battery. once the DINC rebooted just about everything was gone.. All text and e-mail, my contacts went from 85 to 2 ( my info being one) all five screens wiped.. all wallpapers gone but went to default HTC. all scenes are gone . But all apps are still on the phone but . Some thing is very wrong. Back up assistant is not working .. going to the VZ store in the AM

Upvote 0
Do you have handcent installed?
Every since I got rid of that I no longer have autorestarts.... "using Chompsms instead.

I also have the DINC.

I also installed "app 2 SD".. it moves your programs to your SD card and it knows which ones to move "keep third party live wallpaper on the phone as they start "before" the SD card is initialized if you have one loaded.

I have seven pages of icons and widgets worth of programs and I have 598mb free on my phone........
Since your memory is your ram.. thats a good thing!

My phone is very fast again.. like when I first bought it.. and I have not done a factory restart.

Upvote 0
My messages were just deleted-- except for one text that had just been received. This is the second time this has happened. I assumed the first was a fluke, but would like to know why now that it's happened again.

I've got 2.2 and the phone was sitting, screen off, next to me. I received a desktop notification saying I had a text, picked up the phone, and the only message left was that one text-- all others had been deleted.

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones