1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Text Messages - Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by icekitty, Jan 4, 2012.

1. icekitty

icekitty Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Can someone please help me - When I am receiving text messages from people and they are lengthy, sometimes the message splits into numerous messages and then other times the message will indicate 'More...' at the end however when you open the message it opens to some sort of media player and while it looks like it is playing something and you have the options to 'replay', 'pause' or 'stop', there is no message.

Is there a way to change the settings for incoming message lengths or what can I do to change this?

Much appreciated! :)

Advertisement

2. T.M.M.L

T.M.M.L Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Greetings icekitty,

Welcome to the forums.

The message length is controlled by your service provider, I think. I think they also control how the message is interpreted and sent to you(SMS, MMS...). I don't know of anyway to change it on your side.

I'm don't know what SMS app your using, but you might want to try Handcent or Go SMS. The player your referring to, usually comes up when there is a media message.
    I used to get this as well. I can't say 100% that the change from the default to Go SMS changed this, but I haven't had the issue return.

Hope this helps

EarlyMon likes this.
  3. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    The SMS system is limited to 160 characters (including spaces) per message. If the message is longer than that, the SMS app has to split it up between multiple messages. There is no way around that.

If you are clicking on something and the media player opens it sounds like you are being send an MMS of some type.

EarlyMon likes this.
  4. Sierra255

Sierra255 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    I get those messages with a 'Play' feature on them from a couple of friends. They're always just simple text messages, and when you hit 'Play', it shows a progress bar as if something is playing, but there is never any audio, video or anything else. I've just assumed the problem is due to different carriers and phones.

5. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    When the sender's message exceeded 160 chars, their software had the choices to automatically send it as an MMS, split it into multiple messages or to send it as an a kind of extended SMS.

It sounds like it tried to send it as an MMS or an extended message and the app on your side is misinterpreting things.

T.M.M.L. is correct - both Handcent and Go SMS give extended options for handling this sort of thing and either might be a better choice than the stock messaging app.

6. icekitty

icekitty Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks very much for all the help...I will definitely look into the suggestions!

Have a great day all (or what's left of it) :D

EarlyMon likes this.