1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Text messaging dilemma

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by micahdiablo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. micahdiablo

micahdiablo Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Colton, CA
    This phone is really starting to annoy me. My birthday is in a few weeks and honestly, I probably will be asking for a better phone and company. I am just pissed to give up 25 dollar a month plan which is the only reason I came and stayed with Virgin.

Anyway, I've had my LG optimus V for like 3-4 months now and at first I was like "Aw, this phone is awesome to be so cheap."

4 months later, I am having similar issues with other android phones(Waiting around for updates, Overheating, Lag, etc.)

But the biggest issue I have with this phone is Text messaging.

What used to be a slight delay in receiving has turned into NEVER receiving.

Yesterday, I did not receive ANY text messages at all. At first I was happy but there is something wrong with this picture. Even in the off chance, none of my friends texted me, I still have Parents who smother the hell out of me and text me way too much yet they didn't text me.

I find out people have been trying to text me(my best friend, my brother) and I have not gotten their texts even though they said they had been trying to text me for 2 days.

I turned the phone off and back on...No help

I turned the airplane mode off and on...no help?

Could it be the App? I am using GO Sms

Could it be my phone number? I am in North Carolina with a New Jersey area code.

I am at my wits end because I could be having a conversation via texts and we are texting back regularly and then all of a sudden I stop receiving texts.

Advertisement

2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    If you're not getting your text messages, you need to call Virgin Mobile so they can fix it. My daughter had the same issue with her phone (the Intercept I handed down to her), and they walked her through the steps of resetting the MEID.

As for the lags, overheating, and updates... I've not had a single issue like that with mine. If you're running without being rooted, no custom roms, and with no additional apps added to the phone and it's lagging, overheating etcetera... then there's something wrong. Try a factory reset. If that doesn't work then you may need to return the phone for a replacement.

micahdiablo likes this.
  3. micahdiablo

None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Colton, CA
    I think i need to have me a drink before I call their horrid Customer service -_-
    I always dread calling them.

Well, thank you and hopefully they can do something.

And I get so confused for rooting so I never even bother with it anymore.
    It's the same phone out the box just with Go launcher.

4. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    If you're interested in troubleshooting the lag/overheating issues, uninstall any apps you have downloaded. Run the phone for a few days without the downloaded apps and see if you still have the same issues. If so, try a factory reset and see how it goes for a few days (again, without any downloaded apps).

This will help you rule out any downloaded apps that could be causing your phone to have those issues you mentioned, and sometimes just doing a factory reset will fix some problems. ;)

5. micahdiablo

None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Colton, CA
    Just got off the phone with them now, surprisingly i don't have the urge to punch something. Although she really didn't do much

I live in North Carolina but I have a New Jersey number. Do you think you that could be the issue with my text messaging? Is my phone trying to contact towers in NJ?

6. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    I wouldn't think so, no.

If they didn't fix your text messaging, Id keep calling and bug the snot out of them till they do hehe.

7. micahdiablo

None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Colton, CA
    I had been using Go Sms(i love the UI of the App)

but i deleted the app and downloaded Chomp and then i went back to using the Stock Messaging App(it's so plain and boring)

It almost seems like texts are coming through(a slight delay) but at least i was able to have an ongoing conversation with multiple people without too much trouble.

SO i am wondering was it just the app or is it really the signal/phone number/hardware issue?

8. dcannoli

dcannoli Member
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Railroad
    Jacksonville, FL
    With Go SMS and Chomp, did you disable the stock msg. app? I had similar issues at first (and still do occasionally). Try enabling the stock app, but turn off all notifications in settings. Make sure you have a decent signal. That has been my primary reason for mms & sms issues.

9. micahdiablo

None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Student
    Colton, CA
    I do live in the country(when I am not at college) so I do tend to have low signal.
    But this problem really only started happening a month ago.

I am going to give what you suggested a try. Because now that i am using Stock Messaging, it works fine...I am getting all the text messages with no problems.
    IT's just this app is so...BLAND

Tags: