• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

text messaging on Verizon....

dragonriot

Nov 29, 2009
So, when I was using my Omnia, I noticed that when sending text messages it was the smartest phone I'd ever used. On Verizon, if you write a text message longer than 160 characters, it won't send any more than that to a non-Verizon subscriber. The Omnia inherently split excessively long text messages into separate messages, instead of what normal phones do, by sending the whole thing and hoping the server splits it for you.

The Droid acts like a dumbphone with both the stock SMS app as well as Handcent. I want it to split messages when they are longer than 160 characters, because I have a lot of friends that aren't Verizon members - or worse yet that it doesn't send the whole thing, Google Voice users.

Is there a text messaging app that doesn't have this issue of sending long text messages to non-verizon subscribers?

I was under the impression that Handcent split messages over 160 chars...

It counts, and tells you that it's longer than 160 characters, but doesn't actually split them when sending, so it still gets rejected on the server as being too long, and only sends the first 160 characters.

EDIT*** I found the setting to split messages... nevermind. =)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones