1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Text notification noise won't stop!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nattyville, Dec 28, 2011.

1. nattyville

nattyville Lurker

In the settings, I chose a notification noise for when I receive a text. This works fine. However, there's a separate "reminder" noise, for when I dont look at the text right away, that does not stop even after I read the text. It's a low "dunk" noise and occurs every few minutes. The only way I can clear it is to restart my phone. Any ideas on a way I can fix this issue? I should mention the icon showing a text msg has arrived (in the top bar of the screen) disappears after I read the text, the only issue is the ongoing tone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd Android Enthusiast

In your settings of the app, go into Settings > reminders and uncheck it. ( I am using Handcent and if you have reminders checked you then get tons of options.) If you are stock, just look for Reminders in your settings.

3. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Android Expert

I found this post odd at first since there is no native reminder notification that sounds off any type of audible sound to let you know you missed a call or text message on Dinc2.
    I figured that the user must have been using some type of app like handcent or easy reminder or something else...
    I am on stock and when you miss a call, text or email, the notification light just blinks for 5 mins then stops and is not accompanied by any audible sound to alert you of the missed event.

Where is this reminders in settings you speak of?
    Maybe I am overlooking something...

4. nattyville

nattyville Lurker

I am not using Handcent. I am just using whatever came on the phone. Yes, I do get a green flashing light when I have a text message or some other notification. My phone, per my settings, makes a different noise to notify me a text or a talk or a email came in. They all ding one time. However, I get a "dunk" noise after the initial text message noise (which is NOT a dunk). This dunk will continue on indefinitely, even if I read the text message & haven't rec'd any others. It won't stop until I restart. I don't see Reminders in my settings. And I wouldn't mind the dunk if I actually had a new message to read. It's annoying it won't stop, and I can't find anywhere to turn off the noise or even change it.

I really appreciate the help - let me know if you need more info or if I am not making sense.

5. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert

My guess is that the "dunk" sound is not related to your text messages.

6. nattyville

nattyville Lurker

Yes, it absolutely is. I've had the phone for several months & have finally determined why/when it is happening. I don't get many text messages, so my phone is fine until I get a text and then that noise begins & doesn't stop whether or not I read it. It never happens otherwise.

7. blackepoxy

Have you tried a battery pull?
    With the phone turned on take the back cover off and pull the battery, leave it out for like 5 min. then put it back in and reboot the phone.
    See if it does it again after that.

8. nattyville

nattyville Lurker

Thanks....I tried the battery pull, no dice. Just got a text, read it and now every 5 minutes that noise sounds. this is so annoying! It isn't even a noise you can pick from the list of sounds. i should take a video of it so u can hear what I mean.

9. bberryhill0

Do you have any app installed that has anything to do with texts?

10. blackepoxy

Yeah, you should do that...

11. nattyville

nattyville Lurker

No. I just use the regular texting feature included w/ the phone. I really haven't added much, or anything that would seemingly involve my text features. My husband has the same phone & his doesn't do this.

I dont see an option to remove or change reminder notices. It's like its a flaw with my phone, not something that is even offered on this phone, and therefore no way to stop it. I think its telling I have to shut my phone off completely to get it to stop upon restart.

12. bberryhill0

We're down to a Factory Reset as the last option to get rid of this thing. Settings> Sdcard & Storage> Factory Reset. If that doesn't fix it it's a hardware problem.

13. clomedico

clomedico Lurker

it is the Hangout_ringtone. I changed it to Mira and it doesn't do it anymore.

14. fos

fos Lurker

I'm running android 4.4.2 on a Sharp Aquos and was having the exact same problem. I finally found the setting under
    System Settings => Accessibility => Persistent Alerts (Uncheck)

This is (very obscurely) buried at the bottom of the Accessibility section for me

15. elainep

elainep Lurker

Nattyville, I have the same problem and it's driving me NUTS!!!!!!!

HTC Droid Incredible 2 Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible 2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews