1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Text Notification using a different sound

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Surfrider, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Surfrider

Surfrider Lurker

Tried searching but couldn't find any info . Just got a Droid Inc2. and I was wondering if there was a way to use a specific ringtone for text message notification .I have my ringtones already on the phone . Is it even possible
    to use any other sound other than the default sound ?

Advertisement

2. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Android Expert

First install a file explorer on your phone, I like ES.
    You will have to create a new directory on your SD card to put your notifications under to use them so that they will show up in the stock ui.
    Create a new folder called media, then in that folder create another called audio, then last create one called notifications. You just made the directory media/audio/notifications. Copy or move any .mp3 or audio file you want to use and put it under the last notifications sub folder.
    Now the files will show up when you go to pick you notification sound for text messages or email ect., ect.

In the last notifications sub folder you can also create ringtones and alarms directories and put any file you want to use for those corresponding sounds also.
    :)

3. wildtouch83

wildtouch83 Android Enthusiast

That's good information g.adams. I think the OP may have been looking for something on less complex level.

If you open the messaging app press Menu and go to Settings, you should be able to change the notification sound in there. And that will just be for the text messages.

4. blackepoxy

blackepoxy Android Expert

This is the simplest way I have found to do this without root or having to connect the phone to a PC.
    You can also use this same directory creating method to create different albums in your gallery to name them and make it show which albums show what pictures.

5. Surfrider

Surfrider Lurker

Update.
    That trick worked perfectly .
    Only took a few minutes to get it up and running .
    Thanks .

blackepoxy likes this.
  6. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

I use zedge for all my ringtone goodness:)

(just throwing that out there)