1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Text selector magnifier(like iphone)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by epuiatti, Feb 8, 2010.

1. epuiatti

epuiatti Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    London, UK
    I used an iPod touch today and noticed the glass sphere that magnifies the area where you are trying to put the cursor... Is there a similar app for android as its really useful, especially on my milestone which doesnt have a trackball...

Advertisement

2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Denmark
    Yes I've seen that too, and it's nothing short of brilliant. Especially with the combined effects of today's high-resolution displays and fat-fingered users, some method for precision selection would be very welcome.

The bad news is that Android isn't put together in a way that allows you to make "an application" to add that sort of functionality. Every app lives inside its own window (even if it's a popup or part of a menu); you can't "interfere" with somebody else's text-edit field. :(

The upshot of it is that this would have to be built into Android. But I guess they've determined the track ball / D-pad to be sufficient, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this. Also, odds are that lens thingie is also covered by some stupid software patent. :rolleyes:

3. nassausky

nassausky New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Oh I wish android had something similar because everyone makes mistakes. It's human to err. The iphone which I upgraded to this new android phone excelled in that respect. So simple to make a correction. I really do hope that they design/implement something that makes fixing errors easier. If I was an android designer I might also consider a directional pad that allows a user to go back without erasing text to make corrections.

We can all dream...

4. Kupz

Kupz New Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Hi

Currently ANDROID OS does't have Text selector magnifier(like iphone), are they really working on text magnifier (like iphone), if yes when will it be ready ?

Tks.

5. exeka

exeka New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Try out "Amoeba" from Market its not a solution but its something

6. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    The HTC Desire HD has a Text selector magnifier :)
    It's a Sense feature.

Harry

7. n1oty

n1oty Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Taunton, MA

And the TMo MyTouch 4G has this as well, so any phone with "Sense" may have it.

John

8. athegn

athegn Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I have the non HD Desire but I can't find this feature.

9. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    Sense is improved with the Desire HD.
    The non HD Desire hasn't the Text selector magnifier feature (not yet ?)

Harry

10. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Enterprise Server Engineer
    Ohio
    The Droid 2 also has it.

11. JohnniMnemonic

JohnniMnemonic New Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Dream no more! Download Hacker's Keyboard from the google play store. It's got a directional pad and every other button you could possibly imagine pressing :D