1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Text to Speech Engine for Notification Sounds

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Stuntman, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I would like to set up custom notification sounds for the various apps (email, message, FB, etc.). I would prefer that instead of using the various cute sound effects that come with the phone, I want to have a voice that says, "new email" or "new message" instead of the various beeps and chimes. Ideally, I would like to use the text to speech engine that comes with the phone to do this like what the Navigation app.

How can I set up the notifications to activate the text to speech engine to say a certain phrase? If that is not possible, how can I activate the text to speech engine to say a phrase and then save the output to a sound file which I can then select as the notification for those various apps?

Advertisement

2. jonoross949

jonoross949 Active Member

Nov 25, 2010
    that sounds awesome! let me know if you figure it out :)

3. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I found an app in the Android Market called TalkaDroid. It is an app that uses the text-to-speech engine to say the text you enter. You can then save the resulting speech to a ringtone file. Then, you can go to the settings of the app or general settings to select that ring tone as the notification sound.

What I did was create a ring tone that says, "you have received email" and select that for my email notification. I have one that says, "event notification" for the calendar. I have a few more as well for other apps. It works great and now I know what the various notifications are for because the notification sound actually says what it is for.

Tags: