• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text-To-Speech Option

Not sure why it's doing that for you guys but I may have a solution. Download an app called handcent sms. It does speech to text and also does text to speech where it will read your messages back to you. It also gives you complete customization on all types of settings. It is free and once you download it and you want to type a message just hit menu and than speak and there is your speech to text. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Not sure why it's doing that for you guys but I may have a solution. Download an app called handcent sms. It does speech to text and also does text to speech where it will read your messages back to you. It also gives you complete customization on all types of settings. It is free and once you download it and you want to type a message just hit menu and than speak and there is your speech to text. Hope this helps!

I am looking for something that would work with email though, not just SMS.

Upvote 0
We are talking text to speech here guys. The phone does speech to text very easy. It's too separate issues. Don't confuse the two. Anytime a keyboard is shown you have the ability to tap the microphone button to activate speech to text. I see no option to active text to speech.

We want the ability to have our email and text read to us aloud. Where is it?

Upvote 0
Anyone get this yet? My friend has a phone that does this automatically, so its great for driving. I just got a car mount, and can do anything by speaking to the phone, but i would love to have the phone read me texts while driving.

The option is there in the Settings menu, and the demo works fine. I don't know why there is no option to read a text to you.

Upvote 0
I know Better keyboard and Smartkeyboard Pro have the Michael option. Use it frequently. Doesn't the stock keyboard have it on Evo too?

Just never looked. Came from Hero and new keyboard was DL with all my other paid apps before I did anything else with Evo.

That's the speech to text feature. I'm talking about the text to speech, i.e. reading a text aloud to me.

Upvote 0
Shoutout will play the incoming text messages and can talk to send text messages. I believe it will automatically play any incoming text message when in driving mode.. (bluetooth connected I believe). Since I don't really use the read aloud part, I am not sure if it will work like you want it. Got it for my wife since she hates typing when she is trying to send a text on her Hero.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones