• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Text Wrapping on Orange Internet Browser - HTC Desire Black

DeftonedEvan

May 20, 2010
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so be gentle!

I've just received my HTC Desire Black from Orange and I have to admit it's one of the best phones I've ever owned. However, there is one thing that is troubling (it's more of an annoyance than anything). When looking at webpages through the browser and zooming in on text, it doesn't wrap the text to the screen. I had an HTC Desire briefly from T-Mobile which didn't have this problem (had to send it back due to poor signal) but this handset does.

I'm not sure whether it's a fault with the browser itself (as it seems to be an Orange version of one) or the website itself. Has anyone else had this problem?

There was something on the XDA forum about this being specific to the Orange ROM, I am on Orange but I flashed the generic ROM from Modaco after the first week. I can't remember if I had this problem when I was using the Orange ROM but I don't have it with the generic ROM.

Aside from the text flow problem it's worth flashing the generic ROM onto your phone to get rid of all the rubbish Orange put on there. I haven't rooted and don't think I will as Froyo apparently will provide pretty much the same functionality, apps to sd card etc.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so be gentle!

I've just received my HTC Desire Black from Orange and I have to admit it's one of the best phones I've ever owned. However, there is one thing that is troubling (it's more of an annoyance than anything). When looking at webpages through the browser and zooming in on text, it doesn't wrap the text to the screen. I had an HTC Desire briefly from T-Mobile which didn't have this problem (had to send it back due to poor signal) but this handset does.

I'm not sure whether it's a fault with the browser itself (as it seems to be an Orange version of one) or the website itself. Has anyone else had this problem?

I received mine friday just gone and had also made the schoolboy error of getting it direct from a network (i have not bought a phone for 4 years lol)

Orange seem to do the most branding and have completely crippled the HTC Desire from how it is advertised Google talk is also not available at least not properly ... i think some background functions of it work.

The browser they have installed i think still is webkit 3.1 but their own branded version it does wrap round txt when you double tap on an artice most of the time but it is no where near as good as the stock browser on the desire which does it all automatically as far as you zoom in/out the orange browser will only do it once.

It could be lived with if you don't know about the stock browser but its incredibly annoying that they have the nerve to change such a key function of the phone that changes it significantly and not include the original function as an alternative or at least tell you in the advertisements it will be different
and it is very aggressive that you cant delete things like there annoying game demo's that you don't want i would have bought monopoly but wont now out of principle lol
if i was HTC i would be very upset with orange and force changes as it is damaging to the reputation of their incredibly good phone one good thing you can say about i-phone is they don't allow networks to change anything so their phone is not crippled.

But in any case mine is going straight back on Monday when the returns department is open and the contract cancelled at the risk of not being able to get another contract as they were the only ones who would have me :( i was going to ask for an i-phone instead to save the trouble of a complete return etc. but i really want the Desire so will risk trying to get one on orange through One stop phone shop or Carphone warehouse as they supply un-branded phones although i will check this over the phone before i return this one i should still be able to pass a credit check for orange through a 3rd party i imagine.

p.s. i wouldnt risk messing about changing the rom light heartedly as it will void warranty/insurance unless you really know what your doing to change it back if you need to you have no other choice such as return it like i am

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones